Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,047   Posts: 1,560,990   Online: 1198

Thread: Agfa 5x7 camera

Shooter
    Medium Format

Agfa 5x7 camera

Howdy,
    I am eyeing a nice looking Agfa 5x7 camera that seems to be a good condition, but before I jump in it I would like to reach some info from the gurus here. This camera comes without a lens or film holder, so how easy is it to get a decent lens for this camera (barrel lens) and a wet plate back? I want to start getting some stuff together as I plan to dabble into some colodion goodnes.

Thank you all.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Agfa Ansco 5x7" I mean.

AgX

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Thank you for clarification. I did not think about Ansco.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Lenses are easy, film holders OK but beginning to getting harder to find.

They can be marked just Agfa, my 10x8 Commercial View's name plate is but my older 10x8 says Agfa Ansco. Try and get one with front tilt, without the camears are a bit limiting.

Ian

Shooter
    Large Format

Ansco-Agfa 5X7

Quote Originally Posted by Ian Grant View Post
    Lenses are easy, film holders OK but beginning to getting harder to find.

They can be marked just Agfa, my 10x8 Commercial View's name plate is but my older 10x8 says Agfa Ansco. Try and get one with front tilt, without the camears are a bit limiting.

Ian
    Within their limitations, (no front tilt) these are arguably the best 5X7's ever made. Certainly the toughest. I had one from 1953 until it was stolen in 2007. I've never had one in 8X10, but wish I did.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Quote Originally Posted by premortho View Post
    Within their limitations, (no front tilt) these are arguably the best 5X7's ever made. Certainly the toughest. I had one from 1953 until it was stolen in 2007. I've never had one in 8X10, but wish I did.
    Both of my AGFA/Ansco 5x7's have front tilt. I don't know what model you have but mine has all movements except rear rise and fall. I have around 40 5x7 holders, but only use around 5 at a time. Some, but not all lenses for 4x5 can be used on a 5x7 with limited movements.

Shooter
    Large Format
    I have a pre- WW II Commercial view. I think the tilt feature was added after the war

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by premortho View Post
    I have a pre- WW II Commercial view. I think the tilt feature was added after the war
    No tilt and slightly shorter bellows extension means it's a Universal View not a Commercial View - and they were made before WWII. The cameras made after the US joined WWII were different, all camera production ceased at Bingham and the factory made equipment for the military, the LF cameras were made somewhere else and the design and hardware changed slightly.

Ian

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin