Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,872   Posts: 1,583,439   Online: 1230

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by LJH View Post
    It's easy enough to make digital negatives at larger sizes for use as contact prints from 4x5" negs.
    Of course. But it's understandable if someone prefered not to use enlarged negatives, whether they were created through a hybrid or all analogue workflow.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    While I have a Travelwide on order I wouldn't recommend it as a first introduction to 4x5. It is limited in what it can do, and you still need to buy all the other bits of kit anyway. So it's great for people with the lens and darkslides already (and other ancillary bits), as a light, easy and quick camera, but if you added it all up you are well on the way to buying a full blown technical or field camera. I would look on Ebay for people selling up a Toyo technical camera, or similarly a Linhof or M.P.P. In the UK for instance you can typically buy an M.P.P. with a lens and some darkslides (with possibly even more accessories) for perhaps £450. But buying a Travelwide and all the bits separately and you could be up there knocking on the door of that price.

I would also agree that 4x5 is a little bit small for contact printing. Not because it is small as such, but because at that size it doesn't show the beauty of film or any better qualities than you could get from a P&S digital camera. Go up a size to 5x7 and things change, the negative has room to breath as a contact print. If on the other hand you kept to 4x5 and scanned it, or enlarged it in a 'wet' darkroom, it will easily show the qualities of film and why it may be preferred.

Steve

Shooter
    Multi Format
    i'm surprised nobody has mentioned at 4 by 5 speed graphic/crown graphic as a good intro -- portable, easy to use, has 3 viewfinders so it works hand-held as well as tripod, almost always comes with an excellent lens and can be had for under $300, usually.

And after you learn on that you can sell it for exactly what you paid for it and upgrade to a toyo or something.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by 250swb View Post
    Go up a size to 5x7 and things change, the negative has room to breath as a contact print.
    Steve
    Thank you, Steve.
    Can you suggest some 5x7 camera models?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Chamonix and Shen Hao make new 5x7 field camera's, but they are expensive, so again Ebay may be the best bet. Look for an older field camera with an international standard back. Sometimes they don't have a name, but the key is to make sure the bellows are light tight.

Steve

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by summicron1 View Post
    i'm surprised nobody has mentioned at 4 by 5 speed graphic/crown graphic as a good intro -- portable, easy to use, has 3 viewfinders so it works hand-held as well as tripod, almost always comes with an excellent lens and can be had for under $300, usually.

And after you learn on that you can sell it for exactly what you paid for it and upgrade to a toyo or something.
    Great advice I think, thanks! Will search for it also.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    The Travelwide looks like fun, but it won't allow you to do any movements, which is the biggest benefit of a 4x5 view camera. The best portable view camera, in my opinion, is the Super Graphic. It has no back movements but you can get front tilt and swing, both of which are really useful in landscapes. It is also very sturdy and not expensive in the great scheme of things. Get the Super as opposed to the Crown or Speed, because of the front movements.
    Last edited by Doc W; 04-22-2013 at 01:35 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Doc W View Post
    The Travelwide looks like fun, but it won't allow you to do any movements, which is the biggest benefit of a 4x5 view camera. The best portable view camera, in my opinion, is the Super Graphic. It has no back movements but you can get front tilt and swing, both of which are really useful in landscapes. It is also very sturdy and not expensive in the great scheme of things. Get the Super as opposed to the Crown or Speed, because of the front movements.
    Thank you, will read about it deeper.

Shooter
    Large Format
    I use a Burke & James Speed Press 45 (4X5 film), just because it has extensive front movements and a rotating back. I bought mine off of American e-bay for $125.00 plus shipping. Mine came with a Wollensak Raptar 162 mm lens mounted in a Wollensak Rapax shutter. I prefer longer focus lenses for both portraiture as well as landscapes. They have a better drawing (perspective). If you are interested in one of these, keep checking e-bay until one comes up with the lens length you prefer. I also have a Speed Graphic. I use the Graphic for handheld, and the B & J off of a tripod.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    5x7 is a great format. But, it is a fair amount more expensive than 4x5. If I were going to go larger, I would jump to 8x10. More film choices, just as much a PITB as 5x7, but the contact prints!!! Amazing.

If you are set on 5x7, I have several Burke and James cameras. One mono (Grover), one wooden field (Watson). They need work but cheap to a good home.

tim in san jose
    Where ever you are, there you be.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin