Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,333   Posts: 1,537,462   Online: 1123

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Xander Fischer View Post
    I'm talking about barrel distortion that causes verticals/horizontals to bow or bend. I've read that some 300mm lenses do exhibit some barrel distortion, and given that I shoot a lot of subjects with strong vertical/horizontal lines, I want to be sure that I'm getting the lens with least distortion.
    What you've heard probably is in reference to 35mm zoom lenses. Rectilinear lenses have been manufactured for quite some time, and the lenses have been good for at least a century.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by karl View Post
    Fujinon C 300mm f8.5 is a fine choice. Love mine.
    I agree. It's flange back (true focusing distance) is the shortest of all the main 300mm choices (282.3mm). This allows me to focus closer than the other options on my Toyo 45AII. If you have limited bellows extension on your camera it might be something to consider.

Here is a table I found helpful.

http://www.ebonycamera.com/articles/lenses.html

Good luck!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by TheFlyingCamera View Post
    In any case, any 300mm (non-telephoto) lens will have enough coverage that you won't run into the distortion (if it exists) before you run out of camera movements. Any of the modern (Schneider, Rodenstock, Nikon, Fuji) 300mm lenses will be just fine, but if you want a more traditional lens option without spending a fortune, a 12" Kodak Commercial Ektar would be a great choice. If your budget will allow more headroom, then a nice Goerz Dagor 12" would fit the bill. The G-Claron mentioned before is a great lens, but it will not be that cheap - they're known for their massive coverage and as such are sought after by th Ultra-Large Format crowd.
    Yes it would, but with the caveat of the large image circle. This can be managed with a compendium shade.
    I've been using a ca. 1925 CPG Berlin 30cm Dagor for about 20 years, as my one and only 300.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    You're not likely to get any distortion on a modern 300mm on 4x5. But if you are really paranoid about it, select a lens like an Apo-Ronar, G-Claron, or Fuji A. But I'll bet the Nikkor M and Fuji C will be just as good. Ordinary 300 or 305 plastmats will be cheaper on the used market, but a lot heavier, and probably have more vibration due to big #3 shutters, as well as the extra stress on the front standard.
    I've never owned a large format lens with barrel distortion.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by DREW WILEY View Post
    You're not likely to get any distortion on a modern 300mm on 4x5. But if you are really paranoid about it, select a lens like an Apo-Ronar, G-Claron, or Fuji A. But I'll bet the Nikkor M and Fuji C will be just as good. Ordinary 300 or 305 plastmats will be cheaper on the used market, but a lot heavier, and probably have more vibration due to big #3 shutters, as well as the extra stress on the front standard.
    I've never owned a large format lens with barrel distortion.
    If the 300M Nikkor is anything like the 450M Nikkor, it will be distortionless throughout the range - I don't get any with my 450M even in my 14x17 negatives. With movements applied.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    I never even think about this when shooting architecture. I might think about differences in image circle
    or possibly minor nuances in contrast. But I could choose a Nikkor M or Fuji A or C or W, or a G-Claron, or even a Dagor from my selection (not that I own 'em all in 300, but close enough!). Not one of them would have a distortion issue unless you were way outside the usable circle of coverage. I guess if one was doing really high-end copy camera work in the old days, the lens of choice would be an Apo Nikkor process lens, or an Apo El Nikkor if you could put that next car purchase on hold, but that amounts to ridiculous overkill for any typical application.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Apo Ronar 300mm is also very distortion free!

Cheers Armin
    Good light and nice shadows!

www.artfoto.ch

Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    And if you don't mind a lens in barrel, the Konica Hexanon GR-II 300mm would be another outstanding choice. But again, if you can find one you'll be fighting the ULF crowd for the lens.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin