Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,857   Posts: 1,583,099   Online: 926

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by dmtry View Post
    Crown Graphic with lightest weight and 65 mm lenses possibility and focal plane shutter.
    Crown Graphics don't have a focal plane shutter. That's why they're shorter than Speed Graphics.

Stop asking questions that you can answer yourself. Go to www.graflex.org and read the FAQs.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by nicholai View Post
    So many options in these graflex cameras. Whats the minimum flange-to-film on the anni edt.? I was wondering about getting a WA lens, but now im in doubt.
    65.1 mm according to the bible, tenth edition.

How wide do you want? And, relatively modern technology (Super Angulon, ... ) or ancient (Angulon, 4/4 double Gauss, ... )? You should be able to use a 65 SA on an Anny. 90, new or old, no problem.

Shooter
    Large Format
    I would like to remind everyone that Dmtry comes from the Ukraine, where English is not the first language. So, Dmtry, about Graflex's---Anniversary and earlier come as Speed Graphics with 2 shutters. One in the lens, and a focal plane shutter in the back. Pacemaker Graphics were made both as Speeds, with the two shutters, and as a Crown with just the front shutter. The next model was the Super Graphics and they do not have focal plane shutters. For your use, you have to decide if the ability to use Russian lenses that have no shutters is an advantage for you.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by premortho View Post
    I would like to remind everyone that Dmtry comes from the Ukraine, where English is not the first language. So, Dmtry, about Graflex's---Anniversary and earlier come as Speed Graphics with 2 shutters. One in the lens, and a focal plane shutter in the back. Pacemaker Graphics were made both as Speeds, with the two shutters, and as a Crown with just the front shutter. The next model was the Super Graphics and they do not have focal plane shutters. For your use, you have to decide if the ability to use Russian lenses that have no shutters is an advantage for you.
    Thank you, Sir, for your support.
    But it's for sure my fault, should read graflex site more carefully.
    Now I know more about different Graflex cameras, and I think I need to buy Crown or Speed graphic. Still not decided what will fit my needs better - barrel lenses or lighter weight. Now searching about old large format lenses.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by dmtry View Post
    Thank you, Sir, for your support.
    But it's for sure my fault, should read graflex site more carefully.
    Now I know more about different Graflex cameras, and I think I need to buy Crown or Speed graphic. Still not decided what will fit my needs better - barrel lenses or lighter weight. Now searching about old large format lenses.
    Here is a sincere suggestion: focus your thoughts and that will help focus your energies. What do you want to do with a large format camera? I've lost track of the conversation in that regard becuase I think that maybe you aren't exactly sure. There is nothing wrong with that. FIRST - read up on the differences. SECOND - assess youur needs/desires and keep it "honest", in terms of what the camera can do and what you want to do with the camera. THIRD - do some virtual shopping, like on ebay... for the camera that will best meet your needs.

Perhaps the most versatile approach would be a Anniversary or Pacemaker that works decently, with an 135 Optar. That would be a nice set-up and would get you going. The weight difference between that and a Crown can be made up by doing a few push-ups. Then shoot with the camera AS IT IS INTENDED TO BE USED. If it doesn't meet your needs, then explore alternative lenses or anotehr camera solution.

Right now you seem to be "ping-ponging" through the thought process. Settle down and do the homework -- the answer will come easier. Good luck!

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    There are two types of Supers, the Super Speed Graphic, and the simpler Super Graphic. The Super Graphic does not have the 1/1000th shutter found on the Super Speed. I have both types.

My Super Graphic (made by Toyo in Japan) was originally fitted with a 90mm lens and cam. I like the metal construction of the Super cameras, and some people prefer the extra movements these cameras have compared to the other Graflex models. I found a Toyo adapter which allows me to use more common Linhof type lens boards on the Graflex front standard.

The older Crown Graphic is also a nice camera, and it's wooden construction makes it a bit lighter, but I seldom use my old Crown, I simply like the Supers beter.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Searching the Super Graphic, thanks for clearing my thoughts about this.

Shooter
    Large Format
    I asked questions about the Super Speed Graphic on another forum and was told by several people that the fancy 1/1000th sec. shutter was problematic.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Thanks for advice. I doubt I need such fancy shutter, so searching for Super, not Super Speed.

Shooter
    Large Format
    I have seen Super Speeds for sale without a lens or with a different lens and shutter so don't count them out if condition is good and the price is right. Usually though, you are correct about the Super Graphic being the better deal.

Good luck to you!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin