Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,213   Posts: 1,532,107   Online: 1129

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format

Super Graphic or Super Speed Graphic? And which wide angle lens for it?

Hello there!
    In previous tread was mentioned Graflex Super Graphic.
    Really like the camera portability, hand held possibilities and price!
    So now choosing which model to buy and which wide lenses will fit this camera well?
    Is 90 mm good option for this camera? And which one? (May be you have a kit for sale?)
    Thanks a lot!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Visit www.graflex.org and read the FAQs before you spend an Hryvna.

The Super Speed Graphic is a Super Graphic delivered with a "normal" lens (Graflex Optar made by Rodenstock) in a Graflex 1000 shutter (top speed 1/1000). Otherwise the two are identical.

If you want to use short lenses on a Graphic you want a Pacemaker Graphic, Crown or Century. You don't want a Super Graphic. This because short lenses make infinity with the front standard on the inner bed rails, not on the outer bed rails (on the camera's front door, the focusing knob moves them). Pacemaker Graphics' inner and outer bed rails are linked, so turning the focusing knob moves both. The Super Graphic's inner and outer bed rails are not linked, so focusing a short lens on a Super Graphic is quite fiddly. Unlock the front standard, slide the front standard, relock it.

The key dimension that matters for using short lenses is the minimum flange-to-film distance: 4x5 Crown Graphic, 52.4 mm; 4x5 Pacemaker Speed Graphic, 66.7 mm. Data from Graphic Graflex Photography, 10th edition. For the Super, see http://www.bnphoto.org/bnphoto/LFN/C...perGraphic.htm

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I use a 90mm f5.6 Super Angulon with my Super Graphic, or sometines a plain 90mm f6.8 Angulon, no problems with either. Most of of the 90mm lenses will be OK.

Ian

Shooter
    Multi Format
    As I understand Super Speed has a focal plane shutter, which is allow to use old lenses without shutter.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by dmtry View Post
    As I understand Super Speed has a focal plane shutter, which is allow to use old lenses without shutter.
    Wrong understanding. It has a special leaf shutter that, when working, travels at a speed marked 1/1000 sec.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    p.s. You really should take Dan's suggestion in post #2. It will help you have a more accurate and correct understanding.

Shooter
    Multi Format

Thanks for clearing. Was reading the site you guys mentioned. Now I have a dilemma:
    Super Graphic with front movements and 90 mm lenses
    or
    Crown Graphic with lightest weight and 65 mm lenses possibility and focal plane shutter.

Please help to decide, never used large format before.

Thanks again!
    Last edited by dmtry; 04-26-2013 at 02:01 AM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    What kind of photography do you want to do with it?
    "Art is is a picture of some dude I never met smoking under a lamppost at 6400 ISO and in BW."

Shooter
    Multi Format

Live portraits and landscapes mostly.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    So many options in these graflex cameras. Whats the minimum flange-to-film on the anni edt.? I was wondering about getting a WA lens, but now im in doubt.
    Nicholai Nissen
    Kolding, Denmark
    nicholainissen@gmail.com

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin