Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,930   Posts: 1,556,862   Online: 902

Shooter
    4x5 Format

Need some lens advice

I've got a Graflex 4X5 Series D with a f/4.5, 7 1/2" Kodak Anastigmat. I'm looking for a faster lens that would be more suitable for handheld portraits and street photography. Since the camera has a FP shutter barrel lenses are fine. I'm not to scared about cobbling up a way to mount a lens. The main thing is having enough back focal length to clear the mirror. I've got an Aero Ektar (that I bought about 40 years ago for $17!) that doesn't quite allow focusing beyond a few feet. Any suggestions?

Oh, and, of course, I'd like to pay $17 for it as well

Allan

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    f/4.5 is as fast as you usually see in LF cameras and even many MF camera systems, with their intended lenses. It's perfectly usable for street. Have you thought about pushing film instead?

PS, if you wanna make a few bucks i'll take that aero off your hands for $50
    www.EASmithV.com

"The camera is an instrument that teaches people how to see without a camera."— Dorothea Lange
    http://www.flickr.com/easmithv/
    RIP Kodachrome

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    I agree that f/4.5 is fine for many situations. It's mostly indoors and in the street at night that the exposures get a tad long. I will try pushing the film at some point. I'm afraid I have a sentimental attachment to the Aero - did some cool astrophotography with it as a kid. I suppose though I might find a loon on the auction site that would give me $1000 for it!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    hey allan

see if you can find a 21 cm 3.5 tessar.
    it is a great lens ...

that said, its around 1/2 a stop more light ... not really sure if in the end it is worth the big bucks for 1/2 a stop ...

there are some less expensive alternatives though ...
    you might see if reinhold here on apug has something around that FL ... he builds fast old school wollaston lenses
    or harvest something out of an old folder and make your own fstop/choke ...

have fun !
    john

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin