Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,011   Posts: 1,524,672   Online: 823

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Nobody said "legendary" status had to be rational or logical. The mythology benefits those who know better, as it keeps quite excellent lenses off the radar. What is known about the Dagors though is that they do have very substantial image circles for their focal length - not quite Hypergon or Protar, but nonetheless, impressive.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by TheFlyingCamera View Post
    Nobody said "legendary" status had to be rational or logical. The mythology benefits those who know better, as it keeps quite excellent lenses off the radar. What is known about the Dagors though is that they do have very substantial image circles for their focal length - not quite Hypergon or Protar, but nonetheless, impressive.
    Based on my experience enlarging negatives made by six different Dagors of different focal lengths from 6 to 14 inches, Dagors cover about 65 to 70 degrees, just like your average Plasmat. That huge coverage is one of the legends. "Coverage" and "Illumination" are two separate concepts.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by E. von Hoegh View Post
    Based on my experience enlarging negatives made by six different Dagors of different focal lengths from 6 to 14 inches, Dagors cover about 65 to 70 degrees, just like your average Plasmat. That huge coverage is one of the legends. "Coverage" and "Illumination" are two separate concepts.
    +1

My friend Eric Beltrando (visit his site www.dioptrique.info to see the results of his calculations) insists that Boyer Beryls (Dagor clones, and very like Dagors; Beryls, Beryl Ss, and Emeraudes all have the same prescription) cover 70 degrees and can be counted on for only 55 degrees in stringent applications, e.g., photoengraving.

People tend to see what they want to see, whether it is there or not.

Other makers' dagor clones are much the same. Between ~ 1912 and ~ 1950 Berthiot's coverage claims for their f/6.8 Perigraphe Ser. VIb shrank remarkably, from 95 degrees to 65 degrees. Same lens, different films and criteria of acceptable image quality. Coverage is a sometime thing but fantasy goes on forever.
    Last edited by Dan Fromm; 04-30-2013 at 04:28 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Legendary?? What makes a lens legendary. If I need to sell it on Ebay . . . it's legendary. I don't really give a crap about legendary lenses. I want to make some legendary pictures.
    He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep..to gain that which he cannot lose. Jim Elliot, 1949

http://tonopahpictures.0catch.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Jimbo, legendary lenses command legendary money. I thought you could spell Pinkham & Smith.

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Fromm View Post
    Jimbo, legendary lenses command legendary money. I thought you could spell Pinkham & Smith.
    My point is obvious. Legendary lenses, and there are some, don't necessarily make legendary pictures. I'm living proof.
    He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep..to gain that which he cannot lose. Jim Elliot, 1949

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by jimgalli View Post
    Legendary?? What makes a lens legendary. If I need to sell it on Ebay . . . it's legendary. I don't really give a crap about legendary lenses. I want to make some legendary pictures.
    While I have interest in the lenses that you sell, I find your prices are legendary!
    Warning!! Handling a Hasselblad can be harmful to your financial well being!

Nothing beats a great piece of glass!

I leave the digital work for the urologists and proctologists.

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Sirius Glass View Post
    While I have interest in the lenses that you sell, I find your prices are legendary!
    You cannot be Sirius! My stuff is cheap.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Quote Originally Posted by jimgalli View Post
    You cannot be Sirius! My stuff is cheap.
    Yeah, you, Eddie and Dagor77. Everything you guys sell is unique and legendary!

Just jerking your chain, Jim. I have sold some "rare" lenses myself.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I don't know what is 'legendary,' but in terms of 'unique' the Hypergon with the spinning center filter is at the top of my list.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin