Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,968   Posts: 1,523,413   Online: 1104

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Are they still making new Petzval lenses?

I know this is a dumb question. Are new Petzval being made?
    "Photography, like surfing, is an infinite process, a constantly evolving exploration of life."
    Aaron Chang

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I don't know of any being made commercially but it's a pretty simple design. I reckon you could make one up from elements bought online with some barrel/spacers made from PVC pipe like Reinhold does with his meniscus lenses.

If you're serious, there's a Lens Design book...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Wow looks complicated. Thanks for the link! I've seen lens elements on sale at Surplus Shed. I don't think I have the skill set to make one. Have you tried making one?
    "Photography, like surfing, is an infinite process, a constantly evolving exploration of life."
    Aaron Chang

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I've never tried beyond a single element, no. Reinhold would be the person to talk to.

I'm assuming that you want it for the swirlies? If so, most of the other lens design considerations go out the window (i.e. ignore the above book!) so just putting a pair of doublets on a tube and fiddling the spacing ought to give you something workable. You will probably end up with a far-suboptimal design with much more swirliness or other characters/flaws.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin