Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,668   Posts: 1,481,744   Online: 854

Shooter
    Medium Format

Newbie to LF Need help finding a tripod mount

Hello All,

I Just picked up a Cambo SC in good condition from a student taking a 4x5 class. I usually shoot Medium Format but find the need for movements. I shoot a lot of architecture. I need two things to get the camera operational....
    1. I need to find a decent 135mm Lens and most important I need a mount for the tripod. It is missing the mount that goes on the extrusion to secure it to a tripod head. Im not sure what it is called other than a tripod mount.
    2. As for the lens I want a decent lens but I dont want to break the bank. Any recommendations would be appreciated.

Thanks

Shooter
    Large Format
    I believe Cambo called it a tripod block. Sinar calls it a rail clamp.

For a lens I would look for something from Schneider, Rodenstock, Nikon, Fujinon or Caltar in a modern Copal shutter. Since you are doing architecture I would look for a lens with a large image circle.

Why 135mm? A 150mm can give you more room for movements and is very similar in focal length.

LJH

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Alan Gales View Post
    For a lens I would look for something from Schneider, Rodenstock, Nikon, Fujinon or Caltar in a modern Copal shutter. Since you are doing architecture I would look for a lens with a large image circle.

Why 135mm? A 150mm can give you more room for movements and is very similar in focal length.
    135mm lenses are typically not overly endowed in the image circle arena.

I'd go for a 120mm over a 150mm. You can always crop a 120mm, but it's often difficult to move further back with a 150mm. Specifically, a Schneider 120mm Super Angulon would be my recommendation. Rodenstock's 115mm is also a cracker lens, as is the Nikkor 120mm W; however, these are typically more expensive than the (somewhat of a bargain) Schneider. You will, however, lose a stop with these (I was shooting at night last week with my 120mm f8 and had no issues with focus. Of course, others might not be so lucky).

As for tripod head, if you can afford one, a 3 way geared head is perfect for architecture. I'd avoid a ball head; they can be difficult to use when small movements are needed.

Two other things I'd recommend: a Fresnel screen and a Torpedo level.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    My first 4x5 was a Cambo. Short of finding the actual Cambo clamp for the square monorail - a fast and inexpensive "fix" is to drill and tap a 1/4-20 thread in the bottom of the rail on one or multiple places near the middle of the rail length. You then just attach it directly to any tripod.

For architectural work, stay away from ball-heads. You need separate and easily adjustable forward and lateral adjustments.

Lens: It's hard to imagine a good architecture lens kit without a 90mm - but a "bag" bellows is pretty important for getting the most out such a short focal length. Keep an eye out for a good used 120/121mm lens.

Have fun!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Calumet Photo is a/the distributor for Cambo cameras. They might have your part.

http://www.calumetphoto.co.uk/

Or maybe Cambo?

http://www.cambo.com/
    A politician is a man who will double cross that bridge when he comes to it.

Oscar Levant

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Thanks all for the help. I did my research and found I could use a bogen super clamp. It's not pretty but works great. I found a 150mm Schneider from a semi local commercial photographer today. Things are looking up. will post when I have it all set up and ready to shoot

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin