Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,000   Posts: 1,524,333   Online: 688

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Shooter
    Large Format
    The book "Nature Photography" by Ingmar Holmasen shows a couple of different "tiltable back" (the author's term) modifications to Hasselblad bellows which the author has done. For one version, he uses a 150mm view camera lens. The other is for Hasselblad lenses. There are several copies of the book on eBay, and I suppose the online used book sellers also. My copy is the 1975 edition, although the later editions may also show the same "tiltable back".

Len

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Nothing you do will make a 6x6cm negative 'large format.'

Shooter
    Large Format
    It can be done and I have had at one time all the parts to do it.

To mount the lens you need the front off of an early model Hassy bellows. The back would have to be fabricated from the back plate of a junked Hassy body plus the bottom and top "bits." This works only for the old style A12 backs that have the window in the back. Otherwise it can be very involved to incorporate a film advance mechanism into the back.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by ic-racer View Post

The easiest way to convert a Hasselblad into a large format camera is to sell it and use the proceeds to buy a Chamonix 4x5. If you'de like to retain some Swedish provenance, feel free to carve a V into the walnut back. Best of luck to you, whatever you do. In my experience these ideas are fun to play with, even if they never quite work out as planned.

Leo
    "There is a time and place for all things, the difficulty is to use them only in their proper time and places." -- Robert Henri

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Lots of small view cameras out there, very common now as a digital platform in the studio. You can get a sliding back that has a ground glass and a mount to take a hassy back. That exists. Slide from one to the other, very fast. You probably want a proper view camera lens though, in a shutter, something with enough coverage for movements.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by ic-racer View Post
    Even if your audience is used to shooting with camera phones?
    Matt

“Photography is a complex and fluid medium, and its many factors are not applied in simple sequence. Rather, the process may be likened to the art of the juggler in keeping many balls in the air at one time!”

Ansel Adams, from the introduction to The Negative - The New Ansel Adams Photography Series / Book 2

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by MattKing View Post
    Even if your audience is used to shooting with camera phones?
    Matt, you're totally right, except only if they're shooting with their iPads. That's a 6x8 camera - about halfway between 4x5 and 8x10. I assume these guys are cutting their own sheets. I must see 4 or 5 of these LF enthusiasts in Times Square each day as I walk to work. Who says large format is a dying art.

In all seriousness though, one morning last year I saw this woman with a Toyo 4x5 set up at the base of the square. It was a glorious start to my day.
    "There is a time and place for all things, the difficulty is to use them only in their proper time and places." -- Robert Henri

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Len Robertson View Post
    The book "Nature Photography" by Ingmar Holmasen shows a couple of different "tiltable back" (the author's term) modifications to Hasselblad bellows which the author has done. For one version, he uses a 150mm view camera lens. The other is for Hasselblad lenses. There are several copies of the book on eBay, and I suppose the online used book sellers also. My copy is the 1975 edition, although the later editions may also show the same "tiltable back".

Len

I would love to see some pics on that.

If you could scan the pics that would be awesome.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Erie Patsellis (who's a member here and will hopefully comment himself) has done as much with a Mamiya RB67 lens/back combo.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Thanks to all of you. The post of David Grenet shows something similiar to what I am thinking about.
    Henry.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin