Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,682   Posts: 1,482,227   Online: 1107

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    Medium Format

Shutter Release cable mount

i recently purchased a large format rig from my local samys. a toyo gii with a rodenstock lens.
    the issue is that the thread where you would screw in your shutter release cable is stripped. so nothing holds it in.
    anybody know of any replacement ?
    its a rodenstock 210mm 5.6

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I don't have an answer for you, but I'll second the question. The release cable barely holds on my 203 Ektar lens, and tends to pop out of place at the most inopportune moments. I'm sure the solution can't be all that complicated.
    Tom, on Point Pelee, Canada

Ansel Adams had the Zone System... I'm working on the points system. First I points it here, and then I points it there...

http://tom-overton-images.weebly.com

Regina Canada (sounds more fun than it is)
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    Are you able to rethread it with the appropriate tool (about $4 at a hardware store) or is it too far gone? The problem would likely be either the metal is too think and thus will shred when rethreaded or will need to be rethreaded at a larger diameter and thus not take a standard cable any more.
    Once a photographer is convinced that the camera can lie and that, strictly speaking, the vast majority of photographs are "camera lies," inasmuch as they tell only part of a story or tell it in a distorted form, half the battle is won. Once he has conceded that photography is not a "naturalistic" medium of rendition and that striving for "naturalism" in a photograph is futile, he can turn his attention to using a camera to make more effective pictures.

Andreas Feininger

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    It's not so simple if the socket threads are stripped (assuming that you're using a release with the correct tip).
    It's almost certain that the cable release socket conforms to the ASA standard tapered thread form Z38.4.5-1950.
    Once in a while a cable release shows up on the market with old style straight threads.
    They don't fit standard taper thread sockets without problems.
    A competent lens repair service will be able to replace the socket using standard parts.
    Lotsa luck of finding a tap with this thread form at the local harware for $4.

Reinhold
    www.re-inventedPhotoEquip.com
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails CableRelease Tip.jpg  

Shooter
    Multi Format
    It may be worth trying other cables release's. I think with every camera I have, vintage or modern, I have a a favourite cable release to use with it, one that screws in more firmly than another.

Steve
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/steve_barnett/

book
    wood, water, rock,
    landscape photographs in and around the Peak District National Park, UK.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    i'm hoping i find a piece of crap lens to remove it from so i can replace it.
    it appears to be stripped.. and it's not the shutter release.
    i went into the camera store today and not a single one screwed on in place.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    If it's a Copal shutter the part is available as a spare, not cheap though - at least here in the UK. £35/$53.29 on ebay BIN. You may find a repair shop carries spares and a bit cheaper.

Ian

AgX

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Kehler View Post
    Are you able to rethread it with the appropriate tool (about $4 at a hardware store) or is it too far gone?
    The appropriate tool would rather be in the range of 200$.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I restore Thornton Pickard shutters quite regularly and tap the brass release arm with a straight thread, that works well for all modern cable releases. (Some were sold that way).

If you look at some shutters the piece where the cable threads in isn't threaded at all just a round hole in thin metal with two cuts and one piece bent up the other down to accept the thread.

Ian

AgX

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Ian Grant View Post
    I restore Thornton Pickard shutters quite regularly and tap the brass release arm with a straight thread.
    Which size thread do you use for this?

Amongst the common metrical sizes the nearest fit would be M3 (3 x 0.5). Best fit concerning pitch but still seems a bit small concerning diameter.
    Last edited by AgX; 05-16-2013 at 06:33 AM. Click to view previous post history.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin