Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,997   Posts: 1,524,291   Online: 886

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

4x5 portrait photographers and cheap 8x10 (wishful thinking)

LF photography has always intrigued me but I have never taken the leap. I know that you can enter 4x5 relatively cheap me but many of the large format images that I like were shot on 8x10...

1. Are there any fashion/portrait photographers that used mostly 4x5. I really like the work from roversi, avedon, and demarchelier to name but I believe they used 8x10 and iin that industry it makes sense to "skip" 4x5..

2. Is there a cheap 8x10 settup? Learning 4x5 would be more practical/cheaper for sure but if 8x10 is what I like, then maybe that is where I should start. Well this is just a thought. I figured that 8x10 is exponentially more expensive but I have never looked into it. Starting with LF with something cheap like a Graflex seems more logical.
    Michael | tumblr

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Much depends on your definition of "cheap".
    But cameras like the Calumet C1 and some of the wood cameras like the Koronas, Ansco Views and some of the Kodak views are relatively cheap. They tend to sell for 300-500 USD.
    That said, the camera price doesn't tell the whole story, as you need holders and a lens. 8x10 holders are a good bit more expensive than 4x5s, lenses in barrels can be had cheaply, but good shuttered lenses get pricey.
    One nice thing about 8x10 is that you don't need a huge enlarger to get a nice size print. (as long as you like 8x10 prints).

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    In addition to bdial's comments, you also need film, and that's not for the faint of wallet, either. I just made an 8x10 pinhole camera and in looking at film found some sort of conspiracy. The big names sell 25 sheet boxes which approach 3-digit numbers. The house brands that sell for maybe half the per sheet price seem to package in larger quantities, so the "entry fee" is still around or over $100! (That's why this year I'm doing paper negatives!)

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    thanks. This is just a thought--I do not plan on jumping on the wagon any time soon because I'm still enjoying 120

25 exposures for ~$100! man 24 exposures in 120 for less than $10 is a blessing.
    Michael | tumblr

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by DWThomas View Post
    In addition to bdial's comments, you also need film, and that's not for the faint of wallet, either. I just made an 8x10 pinhole camera and in looking at film found some sort of conspiracy. The big names sell 25 sheet boxes which approach 3-digit numbers. The house brands that sell for maybe half the per sheet price seem to package in larger quantities, so the "entry fee" is still around or over $100! (That's why this year I'm doing paper negatives!)
    Ummm, no. Those are 10 sheet boxes. http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...x10_T_Max.html

But the upside is that you will think very carefully before you pull that darkslide.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by DWThomas View Post
    You neglected to mention X-ray film which is about $40 per 100 sheets. Yes, it takes careful handling, but that can be learned.
    [FONT=Comic Sans MS]Films NOT Dead - Just getting fixed![/FONT]

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I've old wood field 8x10 cameras turn up at local auctions now and then last one I seen was a kodak No. 2 go for about $400

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Ah! Maybe I only looked at Freestyle, but then again 85 bucks for ten sheets is really out of my impulse buy range! B&H shows 25 sheets of Ilford HP5 for $99.97 which would be a lot more attractive per sheet cost, and Freestyle has their Arista.EDU Ultra 100 as 50 sheets for $123+, but that's still a lot of lattes just to get started! Last year I used the Arista stuff in 4x5 pretty happily, but I could get a 25 sheet box for less than $20 at the time.

Shooter
    Large Format
    I paid $1500 for my used Wehman camera because I wanted to carry it into the field. Like said earlier you can get an 8x10 for a lot less but of course there are always compromises in movements or portability or something which may or may not matter to you. I paid $600.00 for my 14" Kodak Commercial Ektar lens. A 14" lens is close to a 360mm which is considered a "normal" focal length for 8x10. Of course you can pick up a 250-300mm cheaper. A lot of photographers use a 300mm for 8x10 portraits. I paid almost $300 for my Fuji 250mm f/6.7 lens. It's nice for environmental portraits. Long lenses in shutter can be quite pricey. As mentioned earlier lenses in barrel can be much cheaper. New film holders are $200 a piece. You can buy used ones off Ebay for around $40 a piece. As far as film prices go, well I only shoot b&w with 8x10. I have a 4x5 for color.

I read that Richard Avedon used a Schneider 360mm lens for his American West series portraits. Also check out Yousef Karsh's work using a 14" Commercial Ektar.

I just wanted to give you some prices on things. I don't want to discourage you though because 8x10 is a lot of fun.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Ilford seems to be cheaper: 25/$100, roughly for fp4/hp5 (my preference). but still quite expensive indeed.
    Michael | tumblr

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin