Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,552   Posts: 1,544,909   Online: 920

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Shooter
    Large Format
    Quote Originally Posted by DREW WILEY View Post
    I wasn't talking about "camera" packs, but about real packs. Take that load you've got and add a week's worth of food, a tent, and all your
    essentials for the outdoors and then see how well it holds up.
    Totally agree. I don't do much real backpacking anymore (age has caught up with me), but did do a lot in the past and always used the original U.S. Kelty external packframes. Still have two of them - not for sale, but for nostalgia. They held up well under 82 lb loads that included climbing gear for glacier travel with Sinar Norma 4x5. 5x7 and 8x10 are a different story.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    A lot of people bought nice gear way back when and never even used it. Within the last two years I've picked up a brand new Calif-made
    Kelty pack that just sat in someone's closet for decades, as well as several brand new vintage Camp Trails US mfg packs - all of these cost
    over $200 way back in the 70's, but I got one of em at a garage sale trading for a half empty qt of marine varnish. These were way better
    built than packs nowadays and I find them suitable for almost everything except as an airline carryon. For the latter application I have a good legal-sized airporter pack with shoulder straps tucked away. It will accept my Ebony 4x5 system or a 6x7 system, including my Gitzo carbon-fiber tripod and filmholders. I wouldn't want to do any serious backpacking that way, however. Now all I gotta do to be really in style for old
    age backpacking with a vintage Kelty is to replace the handle on my wooden ice axe. Alas, I too opted for a modern fiberglass version after
    taking a particularly interesting downhill exodus. The point of the old wooden axe and half the shaft have been inadvertently donated to
    mountaineering posterity, still up there somewhere... Then a couple years ago I took a good dunking in ice water when one of my nice new fiberglass trekking poles snapped during an early season ford, so newer tech isn't always better! Fortunately, I keep all my photo gear, clothing, and sleeping bag etc double-wrapped in big plastic garbage bags just for such incidents.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I loved my F64 backpack with the side pouches for the film holders. It is way lighter than the lowepro's I've had.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Photo backpacker is about to release an updated line of packs. You may want to check them out.

Best regards,

Bob
    Best regards,

Bob
    CEO-CFO-EIEIO, Ret.

Ari

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Lowepro Flipside 400 or 500; it's very comfortable to use all day, and holds a lot of gear while keeping a small profile.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin