Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,524   Posts: 1,543,880   Online: 963

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    4x5 Format

Ektar100 Reciprocity Failure

Hello,
    I'm starting shooting with ektar100 4"5" and I would like to find some table with the reciprocity failure thing for long exposure values (more than 30minutes).
    Anyone knows anything about it?
    Thank you

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Found by way of Google, a handy chart:
    http://dreuxsawyer.blogspot.ca/2011/...y-failure.html
    This page also has a handy link to the official Kodak technical data for Ektar 100.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Quote Originally Posted by tessar View Post
    Found by way of Google, a handy chart:
    http://dreuxsawyer.blogspot.ca/2011/...y-failure.html
    This page also has a handy link to the official Kodak technical data for Ektar 100.
    yes, i've seen that page also, thank you. and the technical data also...but it still doesnt answer my problem. i am going to be doing 1h30 exposures. well...trial and error right..

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by janaby View Post
    yes, i've seen that page also, thank you. and the technical data also...but it still doesnt answer my problem. i am going to be doing 1h30 exposures. well...trial and error right..

You don't have a problem. You have a challenge. And that challenge says, "expose some sheets!".
    There is no alternative for good old fashioned experimentation as part of the trial and error process.
    Suffice to say you will be looking at colour shifts and a gain in contrast with the majority of colour films showing reciprocity characteristics after only a few minutes. Published information, where it exists, can be far too subjective and vague. The experimental approach applies to all formats, not just 4x5.
    .::Gary Rowan Higgins

A comfort zone is a wonderful place. But nothing ever grows there.
    —Anon.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    There's a reciprocity timer app that one of the film guys created, it only goes up to 30 minutes for Ektar (which I'm sure is Ektar100... he hasn't quite cleaned up the app so sometimes stuff isn't labeled exactly, but I do know he's starting with current films and moving backward to older films, so anyway... ) at 30 minutes, the timer goes to 3 hours 31 seconds... so if you're doing 1:30 hours... then your going to run into daylight issues where the light will change as the sun comes up... so that also becomes a factor (unless you're shooting in antarctica haha).

Anyway it's a paid app but really works well, I'll post an image (this is for iPhone).

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Images... These are all highly recommended apps for different reasons (film only guys might not use all of them but can come in handy).

Hope this helps.

~Stone | Sent w/ iPhone using Tapatalk
    ~Stone | "...of course, that's just my opinion. I could be wrong." ~Dennis Miller

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Color balance shifts are sometimes inherent to reciprocity effect; and you also have to factor in how different kinds of light sources might
    create very different results on both counts. That's why Kodak is reluctant to publish long exposure recommendations, and why any generic
    program might prove unreliable. One has to test for these things, or talk to someone who has done analogous work.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by DREW WILEY View Post
    Color balance shifts are sometimes inherent to reciprocity effect; and you also have to factor in how different kinds of light sources might
    create very different results on both counts. That's why Kodak is reluctant to publish long exposure recommendations, and why any generic
    program might prove unreliable. One has to test for these things, or talk to someone who has done analogous work.
    Well some of us don't have the kind of money to blow on tests, what you spend in a week is what I spend in a year... Just saying...

~Stone | Sent w/ iPhone using Tapatalk
    ~Stone | "...of course, that's just my opinion. I could be wrong." ~Dennis Miller

Regina Canada (sounds more fun than it is)
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    That looks like a really great app Stone - for large format, I was recently shooting a 4-minute exposure and trying to figure out reciprocity times. I guess I need to top up my Apple account.
    Once a photographer is convinced that the camera can lie and that, strictly speaking, the vast majority of photographs are "camera lies," inasmuch as they tell only part of a story or tell it in a distorted form, half the battle is won. Once he has conceded that photography is not a "naturalistic" medium of rendition and that striving for "naturalism" in a photograph is futile, he can turn his attention to using a camera to make more effective pictures.

Andreas Feininger

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    The fastest way I can think of to blow money is NOT to test in the first place. Kinda like saying you can't afford to send your kid to driving school, so you just buy him a new car every time it collides with a tree. If you can afford a silly smart phone you can afford a helluva lot of film.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin