Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,546   Posts: 1,544,513   Online: 1144

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images

Learn me good: LF shutters and what lenses mount to them

Hi all,

Finally stepping back into LF and have a Zone VI camera in the mail to replace my beat up Graflex. I have two lenses at the moment (looking for a 110-135mm lens, not sure which yet) which are a 90mm f/8 Schneider-Kreuznach Technika and a Schneider 210mm f/5.6 Symnnar-s. They've both been excellent, but since I figure I'll need to replace the lens boards to fit the new camera, it raised some questions regarding shutters, boards, and lenses. I searched and found some info, but maybe need some better google'ing skills.

Question: the 90mm has a Synchro Compur shutter that I would love to replace, mainly because we had to glue on a release barrel in order to keep it open during composition. I looked online and see some with Copal 0? How do you determine the right shutter size for the threads/size of the elements? Is that standard?

Question 2: where is the best source of LF lenses and shutters? I've checked KEH and it's alright, but almost nothing with regards to shutters in particular.

Last, anyone got a good recommendation on some lens boards for the Zone Vi. Sounds like the Linhof and Wista boards fit. 4x4cm?

Thanks all!!!!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20130523_074427_612.jpg 
Views:	32 
Size:	367.0 KB 
ID:	69205
    K.S. Klain

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    -----------------------

"Well, my photos are actually much better than they look..."

Richard S.
    Albany, CA (San Francisco bay area)

My Flickr River of photographs
    http://flickriver.com/photos/rich815...r-interesting/

My Photography Website
    http://www.lightshadowandtone.com

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Well, yes, thank you. I've gone over to that forum, but seeing that a lot of users on there are on here, I figured why not just ask here and not make a new account.
    K.S. Klain

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    It's worth it.
    -----------------------

"Well, my photos are actually much better than they look..."

Richard S.
    Albany, CA (San Francisco bay area)

My Flickr River of photographs
    http://flickriver.com/photos/rich815...r-interesting/

My Photography Website
    http://www.lightshadowandtone.com

Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    For the lensboards (yes, it should take the Linhof/Wista boards, IIRC), try Badger Graphic - they usually have name brand and knockoffs in stock. I'd also call them and ask about the shutters. If memory serves I read something recently that Copal had quit making shutters, so they may not be available new for much longer. I'd try them and the View Camera Store in Arizona.

http://www.badgergraphic.com/

http://www.viewcamerastore.com/

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Thanks! I hadn't realized that that camera store is in AZ. Might need to make a trip down there.

I found a a few Copal 0's out there, but they run about $400, which is worth more than the lens itself. I hate those situations because the lens is quite excellent. I guess I'll leave that for the Graflex and find something else for the Zone VI.
    K.S. Klain

Shooter
    Multi Format
    What is the problem with the existing shutter?

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Nothing, actually. There's no open shutter function nor is there a spot to thread on a shutter release (for a press camera or something?). Therefore the solution we came up with in HS was to glue onto the lensboard a threaded shutter release adapter that hits the shutter arm. Effectively, we thread a locking cable release into that adapter, cock the shutter, open and lock it. Kinda ghetto, but it has worked for about 8 years or so. Now that the new camera doesn't take the same lensboard, I realized I won't be able to use the same technique, unless of course I want to glue it on that one as well.
    K.S. Klain

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Klainmeister View Post
    Nothing, actually. There's no open shutter function nor is there a spot to thread on a shutter release (for a press camera or something?). Therefore the solution we came up with in HS was to glue onto the lensboard a threaded shutter release adapter that hits the shutter arm. Effectively, we thread a locking cable release into that adapter, @#!*% the shutter, open and lock it. Kinda ghetto, but it has worked for about 8 years or so. Now that the new camera doesn't take the same lensboard, I realized I won't be able to use the same technique, unless of course I want to glue it on that one as well.
    I have the same shutter, it has a button that you push toward the rear of the shutter to hold it open, to focus. The button is about midway along the slot the cocking lever moves in. I found it more convenient to use "B" and a locking release as mine is on a recessed board.
    No cable release socket? It must have been broken off or removed, this can be replaced. The 90mm Super Angulon is not a lens for press cameras!

To replace the shutter, you will have to match the threads and the spacing within a very very small tolerance. New shutter are almost unavailable, so the only source is cannibalising other lenses with all that entails - accurate measuring, CLA for the 'new" 40 year old shutter, aperture scales, etc.

A Copal "O" will have the same dimensions as a Compur "O", and so on.

Shooter
    Plastic Cameras
    Images
    Re: Zone VI lens boards, there are different models of camera that have different sized lens boards. If it is the older Wista model, then the Linhof type board will fit. If newer Wisner/Calumet etc. then it would take a wooden board.

Check your shutter to make sure what size it is before buying a replacement. For example, it might be a 00 size shutter instead of 0. The skgrimes website has measurements.

Jon
    Mendocino Coast Black and White Photography: www.jonshiu.com

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin