Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,553   Posts: 1,544,952   Online: 792

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    Large Format

What is this 8x10 lens?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-ILEX...item35c7f24546

If this ebay link is working, can anybody tell me what an Ilex 12 3/4 inch medium angle lens is? Is this a lens for an 11x14 camera? Because 12 3/4 inch sounds about right for a normal lens on an 8x10. I am looking for a lens for my 8x10, and I have to scrape the bottom of the barrel with my budget, to achieve that. Why is this called a "medium wide angle lens"? Thank you.
    Last edited by Tom1956; 05-29-2013 at 08:34 PM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: spelling

Shooter
    Large Format
    I googled it and couldn't find anything. You could contact the Seller and ask what the image circle is but he sounds like he doesn't know much. You are right that it would be a normal focal length for 8x10. If it covers 11x14 it would be a medium wide or slightly wide lens.

I don't know how low your budget is but I purchased my Fujinon 250mm f/6.7 lens in an accurate Copal shutter off Ebay for a little less than $300.00 including shipping. These come up occasionally on Ebay for around the same price. Just make sure you get the f/6.7 lens because it has plenty of coverage for 8x10 with movements.

I know I'm talking more money but I can bet you this shutter will need a CLA. By the time you are done with it you are approaching the cost of a much better lens in a much better shutter.

Good luck to you!

Shooter
    Large Format
    Thanks. I'll be doing my own CLA.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Well, while we're at it, what is this other lens? The seller doesn't seem to answer my question.
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/130918414351...84.m1423.l2649

Shooter
    Multi Format
    See http://www.cameraeccentric.com/html/info/ilex_2.html p. 6, and the table doesn't include a 12 3/4 incher. Also see http://www.cameraeccentric.com/html/info/ilex_2.html , which explains the name and also doesn't include a 12 3/4 incher.

Re the second lens, wander over to http://www.cameraeccentric.com and look for yourself.

I wouldn't buy either so any advice I give should be very suspect, but if the f/6.3er is a tessar type it seems a more attactive proposition as a normal lens for 8x10 than the medium w/a.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    If you're a bottom feeder, you take chances. They may be worth the money, they may not. The question I'd ask myself (a dedicated bottom feeder) is whether I think I could salvage the shutters or get a particularly interesting image with them. If you want high quality, sharp images in this process, you either have to pony up for a tried and true lens/shutter combination, go with barrel lenses and a packard shutter or keep taking chances on what-the-hell-is-this kind of ebay buys until you get lucky.

I go the barrel lens/packard route myself, most of the time. There are lots of good lenses out there that do not easily (cheaply) fit any shutter. If you can live with 1/20 of a second as your fastest shutter speed, you're good to go.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Considering the widest aperture is f16, you would probably be better off with a pin hole (cheaper too).

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    i have the same shutter in an ilex semenat ... it "works" but it isn't one i would trust. as whitey
    suggests you might get lucky ... i got a wolly EXWA years ago in a teensy
    alphax shutter its max app. was f12 ... and was a great lens ...
    silver magnets, trickle tanks sold
    artwork often times sold for charity
    PM me for details

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Interesting lens. Since the catalog shows a rimset shutter and the one on eBay is in a dialset, I'd guess the one for sale is earlier---they probably shuffled the available focal lengths around a bit over the years. (The catalog seems to be from the 1920s, since it describes Ilex as having been founded "over a decade ago".)

Someone on LFF speculated that these might be derivatives of the Protar, based on the maximum aperture. I've got a Gundlach Radar XWA that's also f/16 and might be a similar design, and it's a very nice lens---focussing at f/16 is a challenge in anything short of full sun, though.

That separation does look pretty scary. I'd probably pass on it myself.

-NT
    Nathan Tenny
    San Diego, CA, USA

The lady of the house has to be a pretty swell sort of person to put up with the annoyance of a photographer.
    -The Little Technical Library, _Developing, Printing, And Enlarging_

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by ntenny View Post
    Interesting lens. Since the catalog shows a rimset shutter and the one on eBay is in a dialset, I'd guess the one for sale is earlier---they probably shuffled the available focal lengths around a bit over the years. (The catalog seems to be from the 1920s, since it describes Ilex as having been founded "over a decade ago".)

Someone on LFF speculated that these might be derivatives of the Protar, based on the maximum aperture. I've got a Gundlach Radar XWA that's also f/16 and might be a similar design, and it's a very nice lens---focussing at f/16 is a challenge in anything short of full sun, though.

That separation does look pretty scary. I'd probably pass on it myself.-NT
    Separation? What are you talking about? I see the reflection of a houseplant, or an artificial plant, in a wicker basket.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin