Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,266   Posts: 1,534,325   Online: 784

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

4x5 field camera vs monorail

I'm still weighing the pros and cons of different LF formats (4x5, 5x7, and 8x10) and had mostly wanted a folder because I just plan on using one normal lens (or maybe slightly longer than normal) and I wanted to maximize portability.

Well I was looking into some 4x5 options (Wista VX, Horseman FA mostly) and I read that a 150mm/210mm plasmat doesn't fit. I can probably get an alterntive lens or reverse those but then that got me thinking about a monorail since they are usually cheaper and easier to use....I'm still unsure because I've never owned one.

I want a LF camera for portraits and want the flexibility to take it on-location but I don't plan on using it hand held (hence no desire for a VF/RF or a press camera). I'm not going to be hiking up mountains and so maximizing portability isn't the biggest concern (but I do really like portable cameras).

1. What are some portable 4x5 monorail options? Of varying price ranges.
    2. Do you feel that they are more cumbersome to carry than folding cameras for my intended use? (ofcourse subject to varying opininos).
    3. How do you transport them? My thinking was just to keep the camera mounted on the tripod and the lens in a bag or something...I'm unsure...the cases seem kind of bulky and weighty...
    4. I haven't looked at the compatibility of ALL 4x5 folders but are there 4x5 folders that would collapse with a 150mm/210mm plasmat? I haven't looked too much into the compatibility and I'm not 100% set on those lenses...just trying to see which options are viable and which are not.
    Michael | tumblr

Shooter
    Large Format
    I just switched to 8x10, and I have a Horseman view. And I intend to do field camera work with it. That camera is a MONSTER. You can't carry it around on a tripod. Wish I had a field camera, but this is all I could afford. Having said all that, when I think now of a 4x5, it sheds a whole new light on the question. In comparison, ANY 4x5 would be acceptable to me as a field camera. A Calumet is one rugged as heck 4x5 and has all the movements.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Are you saying that you want the camera to fold up with the lens mounted so it will be more portable? If so, this is probably overkill. You will need to bring more than just the camera - e.g., holders, light meter, perhaps a foldup reflector for portraits, cable release, loupe, and probably a few other things. You can easily solve the portability problem with a decent camera backpack, like a Lowepro. I use one of these to carry my Wisner 4x5, about a dozen film holders, loupe, light meter, spot meter, notebook, cable release and so on. The whole package is light and very easy to lug around. Keeping a camera on the tripod is a pain, and lugging a monorail around is a bigger pain.

Given your other post about expense, and given that it looks like you want to shoot mainly portraits, check out the Super Graphic. They are very light, easy to use, very durable (metal body), and have more movements than most people think (although you won't use that much for portraits). There are a few on ebay at pretty nutty prices but look at the "Completed" listings. They usually go for no more than $500.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Quote Originally Posted by johnielvis View Post
    get the monorail--they're ALL portable. Folder limits you and costs more. it's a no brainer. i've never seen a 4x5 that can't be carried on a tripod...with the lens attached--a lightweight tiltall tripod in fact--but you'll want a heavier tripod for stability and why not--the camera's so light you can afford a heavier tripod weight wise--with a nice gear center column maybe. you want portraits, maybe alonger lens than 210...telephoto if you want to keep the extensions smaller.
    +1 exactly. I've carried a Calumet around on my Tiltall since 1977. Now I'm putting that Horseman monster on it. Can't carry around a Tilltall with a Horseman 8x10 on it. It's like a Mack truck sitting on top of 3 toothpicks.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    You guys never heard of a backpack?

Shooter
    Large Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Doc W View Post
    You guys never heard of a backpack?
    For that Horseman, I plan on using a handtruck. Don't laugh.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    hi msbarnes:

i wouldn't let not being able to close the lens up in the camera deter you from seriously thinking about it.
    as doc w mentioned, you will be bringing a handful of other things with you, .. the lens+board in a lens wrap
    is pretty inconsequential seeing all the other things needed to schlep with a large camera.

john
    silver magnets, trickle tanks sold
    artwork often times sold for charity
    PM me for details

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Doc W View Post
    Are you saying that you want the camera to fold up with the lens mounted so it will be more portable? If so, this is probably overkill. You will need to bring more than just the camera - e.g., holders, light meter, perhaps a foldup reflector for portraits, cable release, loupe, and probably a few other things. You can easily solve the portability problem with a decent camera backpack, like a Lowepro. I use one of these to carry my Wisner 4x5, about a dozen film holders, loupe, light meter, spot meter, notebook, cable release and so on. The whole package is light and very easy to lug around. Keeping a camera on the tripod is a pain, and lugging a monorail around is a bigger pain.
    Well my thinking was that people get folders because they are more compact and easier to transport. If I were to choose to use a lens that does not fold up in my camera then is a folder still "benefitial"?

I can understand the advantages for folding if I were to use roll film and a rangefinder but for my intentions, the folding requirement which I had previously imposed on myself seems maybe unnecessary for the 4x5 format.
    Last edited by msbarnes; 06-04-2013 at 09:46 PM. Click to view previous post history.
    Michael | tumblr

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    There's still a weight difference in most cases. I can't speak to all monorails, but I have a Cambo 4x5 that weighs around 9 pounds without a lens or holders. It takes a sturdier tripod to hold it since it isn't as centered as my smaller cameras. I've been eyeing the Chamonix and Shen Hao folding 4x5s and they weigh around 4 pounds. I have taken my 4x5 into the woods, but not that far and not to some places that I'd really like to shoot 4x5. If you want to just try out the format, monorails are usually cheaper.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by msbarnes View Post
    Well my thinking was that people get folders because they are more compact and easier to transport. If I were to choose to use a lens that does not fold up in my camera then is a folder still "benefitial"?
    sure its beneficial .. the camera isn't the only things you bring with you when you use it. with a small format camera you don't need to bring film separately, or a light meter or a dark cloth.
    with a large format camera everything is separate .. film holders, meter, filters, meter, dark cloth, sand bag &c. if the film was installed in the camera ( roll film adapter ) and you
    were sunny-16-ing all your exposures and used a kalart rangefinder specifically calibrated for your lens, then i would still say bringing a lens on a lensboard is minimal to bring.

I can understand the advantages for folding if I were to use roll film and a rangefinder but for my intentions, the folding requirement which I had previously imposed on myself seems maybe unnecessary for the 4x5 format.
    a lot of people use roll film and a range finder. with linhof cameras some say the rangefinder focuses more precisely than the eye on the ground glass, and roll film,
    why not there are more choices for lenses, from old and brass to new and sharp to magnifying glasses even, much more fun to use roll film and a not so boring lens ..
    silver magnets, trickle tanks sold
    artwork often times sold for charity
    PM me for details

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin