Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,962   Posts: 1,558,318   Online: 1014

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    35mm

budget 5x7/8x10 cameras with front tilt

if they exist that is...

I was thinking of the Kodak 2D but I believe that they do not have front tilt, unless modified. I'd prefer a folder and it doesn't have to be Deardorff pretty. Budget is relative...but maybe I'm better off getting a monorail at the expense of portability so what are some options and relative prices?
    Last edited by puketronic; 06-07-2013 at 01:22 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    If you need the movements and you're on a budget, then you're looking at a monorail. You MIGHT be able to find a 5x7 field camera with front tilt for under $1000, but that will be a challenge. Some of the Ansco tailboard models had front tilt on the lensboard (axis tilt not base tilt) and rise/fall but no shifts, and you might be able to find one of those for under $500 - they're generally pretty plain-looking (they came battleship gray from the factory), and because they have very limited movements, they're not highly sought after. You used to be able to find the 8x10 version thereof with the front tilts (and I think the 8x10 also had shifts and rise, but I could be wrong) for under $1K, but they've gone up in price. The 5x7 version had both 4x5 and 5x7 backs for it and is much more commonly found with the 4x5 back on it.

for a 5x7 monorail, a Sinar Norma is a nice option, and they surface with reasonable regularity. Cambo had a very nice 8x10 monorail that still goes pretty cheap (under $1000 very easy, sometimes can be found under $600) but they weigh a ton. Any 8x10 monorail is going to be a big heavy pig.

I take it back somewhat about what I said about the Agfa- they did have front standard movements (shifts and tilts).

Here's one on Ebay right now-

http://www.ebay.com/itm/AGFA-5x7-FIE...t_29877wt_1399
    Last edited by TheFlyingCamera; 06-07-2013 at 02:36 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Regina Canada (sounds more fun than it is)
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    My Agfa Ansco 5x7 (similar to a B&J tail camera) has front tilt, rise and shift (no swing). It folds up and would be considered a field camera. However, it is 12 lbs with a lens. I have the exact camera listed in the ebay ad with 5x7 and 4x5 backs, except mine is in nicer condition since I restored it.
    Once a photographer is convinced that the camera can lie and that, strictly speaking, the vast majority of photographs are "camera lies," inasmuch as they tell only part of a story or tell it in a distorted form, half the battle is won. Once he has conceded that photography is not a "naturalistic" medium of rendition and that striving for "naturalism" in a photograph is futile, he can turn his attention to using a camera to make more effective pictures.

Andreas Feininger

Shooter
    35mm
    I was reading more and it seems that age matters too.

I believe some didn't have front movements until after WWII? I'm referring to Agfa, Deardorff, and I believe B&J (those are the ones I looked into). I'm not sure about Kodak but I believe they have the Kodak Master 8x10 with movements.

I'm not sure on the prices of these cameras with movements but that is my impression: pre WWII = no front movements ; post WWII = front movements.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by puketronic View Post
    I was reading more and it seems that age matters too.

I believe some didn't have front movements until after WWII? I'm referring to Agfa, Deardorff, and I believe B&J (those are the ones I looked into). I'm not sure about Kodak but I believe they have the Kodak Master 8x10 with movements.

I'm not sure on the prices of these cameras with movements but that is my impression: pre WWII = no front movements ; post WWII = front movements.
    The Century Universal has front movements, made in the 30s. I've handled one, and if I had no other 8x10 would be pretty happy with one. http://www.largeformatphotography.in...rsal_8x10.html I don't know what they go for these days, less than a Deardorff for sure.

Pre 1950 Deardorffs had 'no' front swings, but you could use rear swings to get the job done.

I'd say front tilt and rise is much more useful than front swing.

Shooter
    Large Format
    I sympathize with you since I went through the same deal you are going through before I bought my 8x10. I found everything inexpensive was too big a compromise for me in one way or another. I ended up buying a used Wehman for $1,500.00. To pay for the 8x10 camera, lenses, film holders, etc. I had to sell my 2 Contax 35mm cameras with 5 Zeiss lenses which I had owned since the 1980's plus my Mamiya RZ67 and 3 lens kit.

What do they say, no pain no gain?

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by Alan Gales View Post
    I sympathize with you since I went through the same deal you are going through before I bought my 8x10. I found everything inexpensive was too big a compromise for me in one way or another. I ended up buying a used Wehman for $1,500.00. To pay for the 8x10 camera, lenses, film holders, etc. I had to sell my 2 Contax 35mm cameras with 5 Zeiss lenses which I had owned since the 1980's plus my Mamiya RZ67 and 3 lens kit.

What do they say, no pain no gain?
    I see...I'm thinking of doing something somewhat similar anyways. I have too many cameras that I don't use: Leica/Nikon/Rollei.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    If weight isn't an issue you could always get a C1...

xya

Shooter
    Medium Format
    a rittreck view 5x7. it has all front movements and weighs 7 lbs. without lens. there is even an 8x10 back (extender, limited movements then) which is a bit hard to find.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by TheFlyingCamera View Post
    If you need the movements and you're on a budget, then you're looking at a monorail. You MIGHT be able to find a 5x7 field camera with front tilt for under $1000, but that will be a challenge.
    I take it back somewhat about what I said about the Agfa- they did have front standard movements (shifts and tilts).

Here's one on Ebay right now-

http://www.ebay.com/itm/AGFA-5x7-FIE...t_29877wt_1399
    The 5x7 B&J Watson Commercial has all movements on the front standard, center axis tilt. Give me a 1000 bucks and you can have it.

Sorry Scott, feeling a bit snarky this evening.
    Where ever you are, there you be.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin