Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,932   Posts: 1,522,207   Online: 1062

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Graphic View Question

Please excuse my large format ignorance and I did try a search with no luck
    I have a Graphic View on it's way that I found for a good price on the _bay... Not sure exactly what is coming with it, but it looked like it was in reasonable shape from the listing photos. Will regular Regal, Fidelity, etc film holders work or do I need to find the Graflex/Graphic holders? Anyone know the longest lens I can use with the bellows that comes on the camera? I know it comes with an Ilex 4.5 7.5 Inch (190mm) paragon anastigmat lens.

Any other LF words of wisdom/advice?

Thanks,

Jeff

Shooter
    Multi Format
    hey jeff

have you poked around graflex.org ?
    http://graflex.org/
    look under cameras on the main page and it lists the 2 different graphic view models.
    with both the graphic view and graphic view II you can use modern film holders. i think the main difference
    is the GVII has a graflok back, the GV doesn't ... i don't remember
    the length of the bar, but you can use at least a 210 and longer if they are a telephoto design ..
    you will need a recessed lens board for wide angle work, they are not too hard to find ...
    the only drawback of that camera is it can not take a bag bellows + super wide angle lens ( shorter than 90mm ).

have fun with your new camera!
    i had one for years ... and kind of miss it

john
    Ես այլեւս չի պատասխանելու իմ էլեկտրոնային փոստով
    եթե դուք պետք է ինձ դիմեք ինձ միջոցով իմ կայքը կամ բլոգում

Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Whether it is a I or a II, it is a good first 4 x 5 camera. You can use up to a 300 mm lens with no problem. Yes modern film holders work well. It is light enough to carry in the field comfortably and is a very durable camera.

The only problem I had with the two I owned years ago was the tendency for the focusing knob to slip on the rail, especially in that area where it had been used the most. This is from normal wear of metal on metal. Cleaning the rail with isopropyl alcohol should help if that problem arises. Do not use rubbing alcohol as it contains some oil.

Enjoy your new camera.
    [FONT=Comic Sans MS]Films NOT Dead - Just getting fixed![/FONT]

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    The bellows on the Graphic View II is four inches longer than on the first model. Graphic and Graflok backs are interchangeable between the models. The GV II has the more desirable center tilts while the first model has base tilts. Both models use the near standard 4" square lens board, which is easy to improvise. Both models work well. The tripod heads on some Graphic Views is missing, and are scarcer than the cameras. The first model is one of the most graceful monorails in appearance.

Shooter
    4x5 Format

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I have the II and its a really great high quality camera. With the Graflok back, you can easily use the roll film holders also.
    Items for sale or trade at www.Camera35.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by shutterfinger View Post
    Thanks for the link! Mine is the original version not the 2. Does most of the manual still apply? I looked at the graflex.org site and it really doesn't have a lot of info for the view cameras.

Mine does have the tripod mount so no worries there.

I see several brands of film holders. Is one any better than another?

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Yes, most of the manual will be correct for both models. The main difference will be the effect of the base movements vs the axis movements.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Thanks again for the link. Do you have a preference of film holders?

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    No.
    Bookbinders tape works well for loading hinge tape which is what fails most often. As long as the darkslides are present and they're light tight it doesn't matter. Wooden holders can be repaired easier than plastic ones provided no pieces are missing. Plastic ones, (Lisco, Fidelity), crack and separate between the light trap ridge and the edge of the film plate when repetitively removed from the camera without releasing the spring tension from the camera back and is difficult to repair.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin