Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,523   Posts: 1,572,290   Online: 804

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    35mm

Kodak Tech Pan 8x10?

Hello,

A buddy of mine was clearing out an old film stock and we ran across 5 boxes of 8x10 Kodak Technical pan, 50 sheet boxes. I cant really find alot of information, any idea what there worth?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    its not worth anything more than what someone will pay for it as a curiosity...

anyone with a 'serious' project will likely find this isnt stored in the same conditions/from the same batches as their other stuff.

some folks might die to get a try at it.. but its not likely a high dollar value item, .. you wont be getting rich off of it.

i cant imagine someone paying any more than $200 for the lot of it.

but.. then again, im not so sure how many people out there would die to get a hold of such a thing!!! lotsa very wily folks out there.
    "Where is beauty? Where I must will with my whole Will; where I will love and perish, that an image may not remain merely an image."

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I'm not so sure about that...

For a 4x5 user who was willing to cut it down on the fly, that's 1,000 sheets. I've seen past date 4x5 boxes of this go for stupid prices. And since even when brand new this stuff required specialized developing, it wouldn't be a great stretch to assume someone would be willing to stretch a bit further to compensate for out-of-date batches. And with 250/1000 sheets available, there's plenty of room to dial it in.

Some people just love this stuff.

Ken
    "They are the proof that something was there and no longer is. Like a stain. And the stillness of them is boggling. You can turn away but when you come back they’ll still be there looking at you."

— Diane Arbus, March 15, 1971, in response to a request for a brief statement about photographs

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Tech Pan is fairly unique in being usable as both a taking film and a pan version of a high-contrast "lith" style film. There have been a couple of
    Euro substitutes for it; but once someone gets dialed into a particular product like this, it's hard to switch. Someone might pay quite a bit more than $200 per BOX. I won't, because I already have a stash of 8x10. A lot depends on the gamble of whether it's still good or not. Tech
    Pan emulsion hasn't been actually mfg for quite awhile. But it doesn't go bad as fast as fast emulsions either. The best fishing pond for this would be either the Large Format Forum of the Dye Transfer Forum. After that, the auction site... But of course, it's a gamble either way...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    is your friend is the guy who listed several boxes on the LF forum about a week ago without prices?
    Depending on the exp date, I'd pay $100/box.
    www.vinnywalsh.com

I know what I want but I just don't know how to go about gettin' it.-Hendrix

Shooter
    35mm
    No that wasn't us. There was 4 boxes that went on ebay in march for 300 a box, so im gonna be shooting for close to that. I would love to shoot it but that could really get me alot of 120. Its been refrigerated since purchase and expired in 06.

ROL
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by DREW WILEY View Post
    ...But it doesn't go bad as fast as fast emulsions either.
    I had 6 rolls of 1 year expired 120 TP go off on me (i.e., greatly accentuated grain, processed in Technidol). It was bought "on the fly" at a store in Moab (I think?) and carried around for a few days in 100ºF+ heat, but that was the only time I ever experienced any past due consequences with any B/W film, in any practical circumstance. I cut up my 8x10 TP into 5x7, though it remains in the freezer. If that load were mine, I'd certainly put it on eBay to get rid of it once and for all to some poor schmuck who can't live without it ...and buy a nice LF lens.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by filmstash90 View Post
    There was 4 boxes that went on ebay in march for 300 a box, so im gonna be shooting for close to that.

[...]

Its been refrigerated since purchase and expired in 06.
    Current prices for Ilford 8x10 black-and-white anything are running around $200/50 sheets, or $4.00 per sheet. Asking $6.00 per sheet for a specialty item like yours that, while out of date, has been refrigerated since purchase, is not unreasonable.

In fact, some may even argue it's a bargain, given the fact that it's extinct. Especially those who love the stuff.

Ken
    "They are the proof that something was there and no longer is. Like a stain. And the stillness of them is boggling. You can turn away but when you come back they’ll still be there looking at you."

— Diane Arbus, March 15, 1971, in response to a request for a brief statement about photographs

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by ROL View Post
    I had 6 rolls of 1 year expired 120 TP go off on me (i.e., greatly accentuated grain, processed in Technidol).
    Did you use the right Technidol? There was Technidol LC and then Technidol Liquid. Two different developers for different Tech Pans.

ROL
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    The same Technidol liquid I used successfully for years.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin