Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,211   Posts: 1,531,998   Online: 1160

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Hiking backpack to use with photobackpacker's cases?

Hello folks,

now that I am awaiting the delivery of my first 8x10 camera (a Tachihara) it occured to me, that I might need a larger backpack. (All the other necessary "paraphernalia" I already have). I have been carrying my 5x7 sinar Norma in a Deuter Trail backpack, 38liter, the longer version, as I am quite tall (almost 2 meters, that's well over 6ft if I do the maths properly )
    Anyway, I have looked at the photobackpacker's website, saw some very neat solutions as far as camera cases and lens cases goes.. However, it seems he is out of backpacks. But anyway, buing a fully equipped backpack from overseas would be nevertheless a bit prohibitive considering shipping charges and customs&taxes. So I was thinking about trying to find a suitable front-loading backpack here in the EU, and then to buy just the cases.

Has anyone any experiences with this? Would love to hear some ideas... Or even completely different solutions - that I could get "locally"...

Many thanks!
    | website | ipernity thing |

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I don't know the availability in Prague but I have Been using a Tamrac model 787 for years for medium format although it is completely adaptable to most formats. It is also adjustable to one's height. I can comfortably carry it fully packed with my normal traveling set up of 2 MF bodies, 3 lenses. a light meter, filters, GPS, 20 rolls of film, a nylon shell and a few other goodies all with the pack weighing 30lbs. (I'm 73) It also fits in an overhead airline compartment. It's dimensions are 27x15x50cm and is front loading. It's not cheap approx. currently $440 but neither is the equipment you want to protect as well as comfortably carry.

http://www.jeffreyglasser.com/

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Thank you Jeffrey.
    However I think the Tamrac would be too small. Dimensions of the camera only are: W 13 3/4" x L 12" x H 5 1/4", e.g. approx. 35x30x13cm.
    | website | ipernity thing |

Can you find Kelty in your part of the world. A good canvas shop could install a full-length zipper similar to the one that Bruce uses. The Kelty packs are very comfortable and can be found sized for tall folks.

JD

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin