Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,830   Posts: 1,582,278   Online: 1007

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Graphic View Question part Two...

I received the Graphic View (original) today and it is not as nice as I had hoped. Looks to me like the bellows and ground glass need replaced. The lens (7 1/2" f4.5 paragon anastigmat)looks real clean, but the shutter (Ilex No.3 Acme) sounds like it only has a few speeds. Anything below 1/50 sounds the same or doesn't work. B and T aren't too swift either.

Is there any way to clean/lubricate the shutter mechanism? The only screws I see are the ones on the front of the lens that appear to hold the nameplate in place.

Also, where is the best place to get a new bellows? The one on the camera has several patched spots and just looks like a mess.

Probably going to wish I bought the much cleaner model that I saw in Amish Country a couple of weeks ago...

Thanks in advance for any info.

Jeff

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    If you can return it I would seriously consider it.
    They made a BOATLOAD of these things so finding one in excellent shape even after all these years shouldn't be difficult.

Check the tripod mount.
    If this part is compromised at all it should for sure go back.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Ilex Acme shutters use hard rubber shutter blades. Solvents such as Naphtha (lighter fluid) and Lacquer Thinner will destroy the shutter. I can do a CLA for $70 + shipping if you are interested. A functional View I or II should go for around $250 without lens. The Paragon is not a real popular lens and should go for around $175 in a working shutter.

The Acme is not a complicated shutter. Your #3 will be similar to http://pheugo.com/cameras/index.php?page=acme2 but may be a steep learning curve if you haven't serviced a shutter before. Take a picture before and after removing each part. Little thin brass spacers stick to the part or case only to fall off later.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by brucemuir View Post
    If you can return it I would seriously consider it.
    They made a BOATLOAD of these things so finding one in excellent shape even after all these years shouldn't be difficult.

Check the tripod mount.
    If this part is compromised at all it should for sure go back.
    Yeah, no returns... The body of the camera is pretty good and the tripod mount is in tact.

Shooter
    Large Format
    No returns, hell. Return it. (presuming we're talking about ebay). I've returned things that said no returns. Sometimes had to get in a fight with the seller. But I always won in the end. Right is might. Send it back.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom1956 View Post
    No returns, hell. Return it. (presuming we're talking about ebay). I've returned things that said no returns. Sometimes had to get in a fight with the seller. But I always won in the end. Right is might. Send it back.
    +1 !

don't go through ebay or the seller
    go through PAYpal. their 45 day warrantee
    over-rides anything the seller may say or suggest.
    if the camera was described as a user, as having
    usable ground glass and bellows
    ( even if the description says photographs are my description )
    you will not have trouble ... and ask for the seller to pay return shipping
    because if it was described correctly you wouldn't have purchased it in the first place ..

good luck !!
    john

ps graphic views and other 4x5 cameras come up for sale HERE all the time
    just keep an eye out for them

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Pricing on these cameras is all over the place but you should be able to get a decent camera for around $100. $250 might get a Sinar.

Self promotion, can't help it, I'm compulsive. Or is it repulsive?
    I've got a 4X5 Orbit view in excellent shape, bellows, ground glass, one lens board, focusing cloth, tripod block and 22" rail. It also has a revolving back(360degrees) not a rotating back(90degrees)

I've had it on the site a couple of times at $100.00 including shipping. that's without the case. case is plywood with a vinyl covering, reinforced corners and only weighs about 600lbs. The cost of shipping the case I think would be a slug of $$$$ but is good for storage.

You should be able to pick up a lens for $100 or less but any of them may be in the same shape as the Paragon. The sticking B&T and no slow speeds is indicative of old lubricants and a CLA will cure it. As Shutterfinger mentioned, about $70 to fix it.
    Someplace like KEH or Midwest sell with a warrantee. There are also deals to be found here and on the large format forum.
    Heavily sedated for your protection.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I've been watching for a couple of months here but haven't found anything for a price I could afford. The seller didn't really give a description and I should've asked some good questions. It's really my fault for not doing my homework. They were asking $200.00 for it and I offered $100.00 thinking they probably wouldn't accept it anyway. I figured if it was good enough to ask $200.00 for that it would be in a little better shape.

I'll have a good time refurbishing it, though, as long as I can find a bellows. Midwest Photo Exchange and Columbus Camera Group are only about 40 minutes from me. I'm sure they'll have what I need.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    You'll find the service manual, http://www.southbristolviews.com/pic...ew2Service.pdf , useful.
    I have repaired questionable bellows by bonding darkroom blackout cloth to the inside of the bellows using DAP Weldwood Nonflammable Contact Cement, http://www.dap.com/product_details.a...=48&SubcatID=8 . Darkroom blackout cloth may not be available but player piano bellows cloth is, rubberized .008 thick cotton or nylon. Cut the cloth to be the same length of the bellows and an inch or two wider than the perimeter of the bellows. Offsetting the seam of the new lining apply the contact cement to about half of one side of the bellows, apply the cloth cloth side to the cement, press out any air bubbles and repeat for the adjoining area until the bellows is completed. Allow to dry. The dried contact cement rubs off easily. Refold the bellows one pleat at a time. Very durable.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    After a little more thought and investigation, I am going to try to return the camera. Back in the hunt for a nice user 4x5...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin