Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,224   Posts: 1,532,658   Online: 879

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    4x5 Format

Need help on Graphic No.1 Kodak Supermatic Shutter

I have bought a Wollensak 3 1/2 in F12.5 with Graphic No.1 Kodak Supermatic Shutter for my 4X5 camera. But the low speeds (speed mark in RED) did not work while the fast speeds (speed mark in BLACK) worked normally. When I tried to open it for maintenance, I failed. After I re-install the spring back , the shutter doesn't work.

Does anyone have the service/Repair manual of this shutter? I have not have any detail information about that.

Anyone who has, please inform me by email: cofansy@163.com, Thank you very much!s

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	faceplate removed.jpg 
Views:	40 
Size:	99.0 KB 
ID:	70360 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	top cover removed.jpg 
Views:	48 
Size:	127.0 KB 
ID:	70361
    ensure arrow items are NOT under the speed ring

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Welcome to APUG. You might want to check in to www.graflex.org or send it to http://www.flutotscamerarepair.com/ [Highly recommended]
    Warning!! Handling a Hasselblad can be harmful to your financial well being!

Nothing beats a great piece of glass!

I leave the digital work for the urologists and proctologists.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    flutots has a backlog, you have to email them, get put on a waiting list, wait for them to tell you its OK to send it, then wait another 2 to 5 weeks after they receive it. typical of what happens when a one or two person shop gets popular.

cofansy contact me if you don't get it going. Supermatic service manuals are available from several sources for around $20.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Quote Originally Posted by shutterfinger View Post
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	faceplate removed.jpg 
Views:	40 
Size:	99.0 KB 
ID:	70360 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	top cover removed.jpg 
Views:	48 
Size:	127.0 KB 
ID:	70361
    ensure arrow items are NOT under the speed ring
    Thanks to shutterfinger, I have repaired the shutter. Now it works normally. but the slow speeds(1/10-1) run faster. How to solve this problem? Please advise.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by cofansy View Post
    Thanks to shutterfinger, I have repaired the shutter. Now it works normally. but the slow speeds(1/10-1) run faster. How to solve this problem? Please advise.
    Send it to a competent technician.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by cofansy View Post
    Put sand in the shutter mechanism. That should slow it down.
    Warning!! Handling a Hasselblad can be harmful to your financial well being!

Nothing beats a great piece of glass!

I leave the digital work for the urologists and proctologists.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    1. Adjust the retard sector travel by loosening the retard gear plate screw(s) so that the retard sector will pass freely under the gear and mesh so that the sector stud is approximately 1/8 inch from the shutter case. Manual says outer edge of the sector but I have found this results in insufficient sector travel. I do not know if this is due to a misprint or not. The sector stud is opposite the press to focus button. Secure retard gear plate and verify retard sector travels smoothly by setting and tripping the shutter, the B&T levers will have to be operated manually to close the shutter.
    2. Remove material from the speed ring where the retard sector stud contacts it.
    3. Remove material from the speed ring where the pallet stud contacts it.
    4. Clean delay gear train.
    5. Reduce tension on the main drive spring.
    (2-5 is the order listed in the manual)

.001 difference on the speed ring makes a big difference in speeds. Adjusting the 1 to 1/10 speeds may put the 1/25 to 1/100 speed off. Remove material from the speed ring as a last resort. The main cocking spring attach point by the B lever can be rotated on its post. The sector stud can be moved .001 to .002 either side of perpendicular if the sector travel is correct.

On the last few of these I serviced its been a tradeoff to get the speeds 1/100 and slower to be acceptable.

I am a competent tech.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Thanks shutterfinger, but I am in China. It costly and with some risk to mail the shutter.
    Now I have another problem: My Hugo Meyer Plasmat convertible lens 320mm/220mm together 153mm. Its shutter is jamed. The B is OK, but other speeds exclude 1/200 jamed. The shutter blade open a little (about 3mm) and can not release. I tried to open it as normal compur shutter, but the ring which is attached to the front and adapt to the lens element can not be removed. So the front cover of the shutter can not be removed to open the shutter for maintenance.

Does anyone knows how to remove the adapt ring or other mathord to open the shutter for repair? Thank you very much!
    Last edited by cofansy; 06-20-2013 at 01:59 AM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Supermatic: moving retard sector stud toward case increases (slows) speed; moving retard sector toward shutter center decreases (shortens) speeds. Delay pallet stud toward case slows speeds, toward shutter center shortens shutter speeds. Delay pallet stud should be at its travel limit toward the shutter center for the 200 and 400 speeds.

Compur:
    face plate attach 1: remove retainer screw, turn small circular lock with a flat side and two holes in it until flat is next to shutter center, push faceplate counterclockwise until tabs align with slots in in center of shutter then lift off. Installation is reverse of removal.
    face plate attach 2: remove retaining screw from center ring, unscrew the center retaining ring by turning counter clockwise and remove, lift face plate off shutter. Installation: make sure face plate is clocked correctly and the pins and levers fit into the recesses of the under side correctly, install the retaining ring turning clockwise until snug then check the 1 second speed and the rotation of the speed selector ring. The 1 second speed should be .8 to 1.2 seconds and the speed ring should turn smoothly. Install the retaining ring screw into the hole that is in alignment or turn the retaining ring counterclockwise until the closest to aligned hole is in alignment.

I'm using standard manual terms.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin