Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,702   Posts: 1,482,658   Online: 678

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images

lens question - 4x5 linhof w/ super rollex 56x72 back

greetings,

i'm the proud new owner of a linhof master techinika camera and will at least initially be using the super rollex 56x72 roll film back until i feel up to speed with the camera before branching out into 4x5 film. i've never shot large format before.

my question relates to lens choice, though i'm not quite sure how ask it. am i correct in assuming that since i'll be shooting 6x7 images on roll film that that will influence what focal length i should choose? in other words, will a 110mm lens on a 4x5 camera with a 6x7 roll film back produce roughly the same focal length as if i were attaching that lens to my medium format camera? i know (think?!?) that if i were using 4x5 film, a 110mm lens would be equivalent to about a 55mm lens on my medium format camera.

thanks in advance!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Focal length is focal length is focal length. A 110 mm lens will see the same view on 6x7 regardless of the camera that holds it and the 6x7 roll holder. Y'r 6x7 camera has an integral roll holder, y'r Master Tecnika has a detachable one.

Equivalences? The 6x7 format's diagonal is ~ 90 mm. The 4x5 format's diagonal is ~ 150 mm. If you compare the diagonals (some prefer to use the formats' long edges, in which case 6x7 is ~ 70 mm across and 4x5 is ~ 120 mm across), you'll see that that 6x7 is .6 (or .58, the difference between .6 and .58 is gigantic) the size of 4x5. .6 * 110 = 67, not 55.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    hi dan. thanks for the information and clarification. since i'm new to large format, i'm only kinda pretty sure that i understand the implications of your analysis.

i guess if i were to ask in more layman's terms, what i want to know is how the 6x7 roll film back is going to influence my choice of focal length when choosing a lens (i was using the medium format analogy because i am familiar with what the 80mm lens on my contax 645 looks like when i go to compose).

thanks, again, for your input.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    The 645 format's diagonal is ~ 70 mm. Start thinking.

If 645 is what you're used to using and want to compare to, why did you ask for a comparison between 6x7 and 4x5?

Focal length is focal length is focal length. Cropping doesn't change focal length, it just discards part of the image.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    It is not just the focal length. Coverage is important. If you intend using the lens for 5x4 make sure it has enough coverage for the large format and any movements you may wish to make with the camera. Example: I have a 105mm Solinar that does a good job on 6x9. It will illuminate the 5x4 frame, but the edges are too soft to be usable.

A good place to start with this is http://www.largeformatphotography.info/
    I feel, therefore I photograph.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    @dan - thanks.

@grhamp - yes, i think coverage is what i've been trying to ask about/understand, but got confused in my thinking. thanks for the link, too.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Congrats, fine camera indeed. I would look for a really good 90mm, Grandagon, Super Angulon or Nikkor, as these work well as a "normal" lens for your 6x7 format and can be pressed into service as a good covering wide angle for 5x4.
    Next would be a good 150 or 180 which will serve as your standard for 4x5 and a bit long on the 6x7. There are really good super wides, 56m 75mm, that will serve as wides on the 6x7 and also cover 5x4 if you are contemplating using the 6x7 back a lot.
    I must admit that although I have a 6x7 and 6x9 Super Rollex back for my Linhof I rarely use them, preferring 5x4 or a 6x12 back.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    hi tony! thanks so much for your suggestions. my intention is to use the 6x7 back until i get somewhat comfortable with the camera's operations and until i "skill up" to being able to develop 4x5 film at home (which i can't do right now - lack of equipment/space/know-how). i'm a taking the slow road, that's for sure!

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin