Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,536   Posts: 1,544,248   Online: 751

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Shooter
    35mm
    Hello Vallo, I admire your willingness to improvise, these guys keep telling you to spend money, which cannot be avoided sometimes, but if your have more time and skill than money, you will still get there.
    I have a 135 mm Tominon in a shutter marked Polaroid MP-4, but the shutter is stuck open. The glass is perfect, lenses are spotless.
    If you think that you can find a repair guy who knows how to work on shutters, I will send it to you.

Chris

Shooter
    35mm
    And, on the rim of the shutter, it says Copal.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Um, Chris, y'r Polaroid MP-4 shutter has no diaphragm, so is somewhat of a poisoned gift.

I know this question might be taken as insulting, but it has to be asked. Your MP-4 shutter has two levers sticking out of it. One has a button at the end with a silver face. This fires the shutter. The other, whose little button has a black face, flips between two positions: shutter open (can't be fired) and shutter closed (can be fired). Are you sure it is in the "shutter closed" position?

Shooter
    35mm
    Yes, I have been shooting LF since the 60"s, am familiar with a "preview" lever. This shutter also has a diaphragm, as indicated by the presence of the numbers 4.5 -32 and when you stop it down, the little thingy in between the elements gets smaller This shutter is
    STUCK.

Shooter
    35mm
    Thank you though

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Chris, thanks for the reply.

I've had a number of Polaroid MP-4 shutters (so marked), have one in front of me, and have the catalog. There's not a diaphragm or diaphragm control lever in any of the shutters and the only place on them that the word Copal appears is on the shutter speed strip on the side of the shutter. All self-cocking shutters, top speed 1/125. The catalog says nothing about a diaphragm but the illustration shows a shutter with no aperture control lever.

You have have a different Polaroid Copal shutter that's had an MP-4 shutter's face plate put on it. Or, perhaps, a non-Polaroid Copal Press #1 with, for some odd reason, and MP-4 face plate.

Shooter
    35mm
    Who knows ? Perhaps it's a conspiracy to confuse us all. I have been the victim of many If he can deal with shutter repair, it would work for him. I had an identical one that was functional, bought both on Ebay and the seller threw the stuck one in the box for free.

Shooter
    35mm
    I loaned the other one to an APUG member, and after 3-4 months he sent me 40 bucks to buy it. He was very happy with it.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I might have something that might be of use. I will take a look tonight.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I wouldn't say that the shutter&lens combo offered by Chris nor the Kowa is poisoned. I can use both with some tinkering. Nobody can stop me from mounting a curtain shutter behind it, the barrel is quite compact so there wouldn't be much clipping of the image circle, besides it covers a lot. I don't even have to cannibalize a MF camera for it, any old thing with a working shutter works. But I'll tuck this one aside for the future, for some other crazy contraption. Doing this keeps me passionate about photography and also teach a lot about how stuff works, much needed for a young person like me, and keeps me away from the sometimes boring technical stuff like lpmm and reciprocity and so on. Build it, shoot with it, modify as necessary. And the scavenging around for parts is never dull! I feel like MacGuyver, fitting together things to an unholy mess that somehow works. Lens barrel made of drain pipe, anyone?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin