Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,973   Posts: 1,558,699   Online: 844

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

cocking the wollensak dumont 75mm f1.9 shutter?

how do you cock the shutter in a wollensak dumont 75mm f1 9 oscilliscope lens? There is no way of cocking the shutter that I can see. I can see the blades. It looks as though it were half cocked. i like the wide aperture, just can't figure out how to make it work. Some guy on ebay has one for $2000, marked down to $1700. Go figure!???

thanks,
    Dorothy

Shooter
    Multi Format
    It is a self-cocking shutter. Pressing the shutter release lever first cocks the shutter and then releases it.

Your shutter needs service.

Oh, and by the way, you really should unscrew a cell and check how far the diaphragm opens. Since the shutter blades won't open fully, the rear cell is the one to unscrew 'cos the diaphragm is behind the shutter blades. You're in for an unpleasant surprise; wide open the diaphragm opens to only around 25 mm.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I unscrewed the back (3 screws) and took the rings off, the blades are now in the right position. put back together it seems to function ok. the diaphragm wide open is as you said, only 25mm. what is the shutter speed? I'm assuming there is only one shutter speed. why the high price?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Mint-Wollens...-/160924061844

The high price must be a sucker's price. Those particular lenses have very limited applications and can't be used for general photography. They are intended only for photographing signal traces on an oscilloscope. They might be used for extreme close-up photography, but they apparently have an odd field of sharpness that matches the curve of an old-fashioned 'scope's display. Nowadays they are most useful as paperweights.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    The shutter should be a plain ol' Alphax #3, except for the limited diaphragm, nominal speeds 1, 1/2, 1/5, 1/10/, 1/25, 1/50, 1/100, B, T.

I have no idea why the seller is asking so much. The price is ridiculous. Two thoughts spring to mind. Breguet Camera sells, for the most part, high-end equipment to, for the most part, rich and, perhaps, ignorant collectors. The lens in question is in an adapter, apparently non-focusing, to M-42 so may be aimed at rich and ignorant experimenters who want to try out odd lenses on their tiny chip digital cameras. Look at his sales.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    DARKROOM AUTOMATION
    f-Stop Timers - Enlarging Meters
    http://www.darkroomautomation.com/da-main.htm

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    thank you Nicholas,

Fortunately, I'm not looking to buy the lens as I already have one (came with the collection of my dad's). I wonder if I should've kept the oscilliscope that he had. I was just doing a little research and I knew I could count on my APUG friends for information.
    The lens I have is the same one as the link I posted. Interesting though, that you would have to move the shutter speed indicator to "B" to close it when shooting a time exposure.

Might be fun to try it out - kinda like a Holga

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by djkloss View Post
    The lens I have is the same one as the link I posted. Interesting though, that you would have to move the shutter speed indicator to "B" to close it when shooting a time exposure.
    Wrong. On "T", trip once to open, trip again to close. That's what cable releases are for.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Fromm View Post
    Wrong. On "T", trip once to open, trip again to close. That's what cable releases are for.
    I did that. It didn't work.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by djkloss View Post
    I did that. It didn't work.
    Interesting. Mine works as expected. Yours needs service.

Cheers,

Dan

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin