Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,970   Posts: 1,523,487   Online: 883

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    My mistake---it is an Acuton. Just as well; I already have a good tessar type in the same range, but the larger coverage and convertibility put mean this one fills a different niche.

-NT
    Nathan Tenny
    San Diego, CA, USA

The lady of the house has to be a pretty swell sort of person to put up with the annoyance of a photographer.
    -The Little Technical Library, _Developing, Printing, And Enlarging_

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Well, I shot a couple of smoke tests, and the results ain't bad, at least in terms of the lens's performance. You can't fault it for sharpness, and considering its vintage the contrast seems acceptable; also, the perfectly round apertures are a nice little bonus. The shot of the peppers is quite strongly backlit, and I think the amount of veiling is reasonable considering.

Both of these are negative scans, and I seem to have had the sloppiest day of my life for tray development---the scratches are outrageous, and there are even some fingerprints around the edges, which is pretty hard to achieve when you're wearing gloves! I don't think the lens can be blamed for that part, though.

-NT

Nathan Tenny
    San Diego, CA, USA

The lady of the house has to be a pretty swell sort of person to put up with the annoyance of a photographer.
    -The Little Technical Library, _Developing, Printing, And Enlarging_

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Fromm View Post
    PMFJI. If you look closely at the shutter's aperture scale, you'll see that it is scaled for a convertible lens. The combined lens' maximum aperture is f/4.8.

Ilex' Acutar was a tessar type, said to be a clone of the f/6.3 Commercial Ektar.

Tessars aren't convertible, some plasmats are. The likely convertible plasmat was Ilex's own 215/4.8 Acuton, said to be a good lens.

Which were you thinking of? Oh, and by the way, I find Ilex' nomenclature nearly as confusing as Graflex'.
    That one.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Nathan, re vintage. Per P-H Pont's Berthiot chronology, between 1900 and 1905.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin