Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,000   Posts: 1,524,358   Online: 844

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Nothing wrong with wood, and real wood has a beauty of it's own. But CF can be more rigid for the same weight so if you're looking for a light camera it can have advantages.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	SAM_0301.jpg 
Views:	31 
Size:	691.8 KB 
ID:	71288Click image for larger version. 

Name:	SAM_0304.jpg 
Views:	35 
Size:	643.4 KB 
ID:	71289Click image for larger version. 

Name:	SAM_0306.jpg 
Views:	40 
Size:	629.3 KB 
ID:	71290

These are the picture i promised yesterday. The first shows the Shen Hao with the 58 in focus, the second one with maximum rise applied. The maximu rise seems limited by the body of the camera, but a look at the gournd glass confirmed the lens ran out of coverage already. In the third I extended the bellows to show why it is flexible enough to use this lens on a flat lens board. The first 5 or 6 cm are much thinner then the rest of the bellows

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    My Toyo 45A serves me well but if you might be looking for adventure I can recommend the Ilford Titan pinhole (4x5). Very light weight and great fun to use and is compatible with one of my lighter tripods. I've done pt/pd prints, silver gelatin and scans from the negatives. I just received the 150mm cone/pinhole and can't wait to try it. I know it doesn't replace a lens and movements or for that matter my Blads but it is a nice departure from lenses and focusing and with a light meter and several film holders fits in a fairly small backpack.

http://www.jeffreyglasser.com/

Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Huub View Post
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	SAM_0301.jpg 
Views:	31 
Size:	691.8 KB 
ID:	71288Click image for larger version. 

Name:	SAM_0304.jpg 
Views:	35 
Size:	643.4 KB 
ID:	71289Click image for larger version. 

Name:	SAM_0306.jpg 
Views:	40 
Size:	629.3 KB 
ID:	71290

These are the picture i promised yesterday. The first shows the Shen Hao with the 58 in focus, the second one with maximum rise applied. The maximu rise seems limited by the body of the camera, but a look at the gournd glass confirmed the lens ran out of coverage already. In the third I extended the bellows to show why it is flexible enough to use this lens on a flat lens board. The first 5 or 6 cm are much thinner then the rest of the bellows
    That's a different bellows than was on my Shen-Hao. But I had an early production model - serial number was 3 digits, so the bellows was "traditional" in that it had the exact same pleating the entire length. Thus the requirement for using the bag bellows with wider than 90mm lenses.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by TheFlyingCamera View Post
    That's a different bellows than was on my Shen-Hao. But I had an early production model - serial number was 3 digits, so the bellows was "traditional" in that it had the exact same pleating the entire length. Thus the requirement for using the bag bellows with wider than 90mm lenses.
    Yeah, they've gone to this "universal" bellows fairly recently. Looks a bit...unusual, but from the photos it seems to provide a real advantage.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by winger View Post
    I'm fairly sure I'm going to buy a new Chamonix. Though I'd love to shoot some IR, I don't have any and can likely come up with a temporary fix if I ever get some (and it's down to one or two versions anyway). Other than that, I haven't heard any reasons to not get one and I think any other differences are so small as to not matter. It comes highly rated by those who have them (and they rarely come up for sale used, so I'd believe those who have them want to keep them).
    Thanks all for the input! I hope it all helps anyone else who finds this thread.
    You could always put up a WTB over at LFPF. There's always someone leaving the format.
    W.A. Crider

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    I've had them all. The Chamonix was the final solution for me. I'll probably die with that camera. I do keep a Speedy around for the zippy focal plane shutter though.
    He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep..to gain that which he cannot lose. Jim Elliot, 1949

http://tonopahpictures.0catch.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by jimgalli View Post
    I've had them all. The Chamonix was the final solution for me. I'll probably die with that camera. I do keep a Speedy around for the zippy focal plane shutter though.
    I'll take that as a pretty high recommendation considering the source. Thanks! And my Speed with its lens from binoculars has its place, too.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    I am probably starting to sound like a broken record, but given the cameras with which you are already familiar, have you considered a Super Graphic? It is not the same camera as a Speed or Crown (even thought there is a model called "Super Speed"). Although it has no rear movements, it has more than enough front movements for the needs you describe, including front tilt (forward and backward), swing, shift, and rise. It also has the drop bed feature, same as Speeds and Crowns, and the Super also has a rotatable back. It folds up the same as the others and it has an indestructible metal body. You can get a good one for under $500. I used one for ages.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Nothing is as rugged as a Linhof Technika. Solid brick when folded so even the baggage handling gorillas can't break it. Works well in the field as so many solid Pro shooters have shown us over the decades.

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin