Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,926   Posts: 1,522,130   Online: 887

jb7

Shooter
    4x5 Format

C11.17 Prototype Test

This might be of some interest to one or two people here-

C11.17 prototype at Shiprock NM by joseph - jb7, on Flickr

Taking the first picture on the new (prototype) Carbon Fiber and Walnut packet loading multi format 11x17 folding studio camera at Shiprock, New Mexico at dawn yesterday. Desert testing. Didn't go too badly, got some valuable feedback from the exercise. Loaded with 11x17 Kodak X-ray film. The camera was designed to take advantage of the image circle of a lens, to shoot 11x14 and 7x17 without reducing backs. An interesting side effect is the aggregate format, 11x17, which is easily cut down from 14x17...
    The smallest size you might consider using on it might be 8x10, perhaps to shoot the odd sheet of colour film on your holidays, for example. Though I forgot to pack the little bit I have...

11x17 Folding studio camera? Does that sound a bit odd? Did any studio camera fold? This one has been designed to accept heavy lenses, although it hasn't been tested with one yet. I have placed a 9.25kg 36" f/6.3 at the end of the front extension without appreciable deflection, though I haven't mounted it on a lens board yet - a 9" board, Century size. I have one waiting for it, that Eddie Gunks very generously donated to the project last year, in New York.

The camera has front tilt and swing which can be controlled from behind the back, although with a lens that heavy, I think only downward tilt will be available, if any. I'll be back in Dublin in a couple of weeks and will try it out then-

It has an integral dark cloth, suspended from a closing lid which is necessary for shutting off the back of the camera while making an exposure; the focusing screen must be displaced to allow the film holder to register.

Bellows, up to 43 inches available on accessory rear extended tubes, around 36" in this configuration. I should be able to use a 90mm for circular images too, on the recessed board in the picture- though movements are restricted below about 250mm-

Anyway, first look, a lot of testing to be done yet, although the film loading into the camera has passed with flying colours. The camera was designed and built in Ireland, but desert testing has shown up some shortcomings in some of the materials and adhesives used- I just wouldn't have appreciated how cruel the sun can be outside of our temperate little isle...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    wow, looks awesome! I'm actually in the middle of constructing a Walnut + Brass full plate camera. Would love to talk more about building cameras with you!

For one, Why on earth you pick Carbon Fibre?
    Camera Builder // Artefact Creator // Alternative Alchemist
    http://am-edwards.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Most impressive!

You picked a good place and time of the year to test for sun and heat resistance...

Your white clothing made you reasonably comfortable in that sun.
    Just think how hellish it must have been inside those black bellows.
    An outer cover of slate gray or aluminized fabric would look "non-traditional", but it would significantly reduce IR, UV, and heat stress on the adhesives and coatings.

Reinhold

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by LensGeek View Post

because it's heavy, weak, and doesn't look cool.
    www.vinnywalsh.com

I know what I want but I just don't know how to go about gettin' it.-Hendrix

jb7

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Quote Originally Posted by LensGeek View Post
    wow, looks awesome! I'm actually in the middle of constructing a Walnut + Brass full plate camera. Would love to talk more about building cameras with you!

Same as Vinny, for its ironic properties. Well, it's not really like irony, but it's not much like silvery or goldy either...

Had a look at your wet plates, very nice...

Reinhold, thanks, yes black is pressure testing alright. Not only is it on the bellows, but on the lifting lid and cape; they could easily be aluminized silver- I'll have to make a version.

Would like to try one of your lenses on it too, they look good...

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin