Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,300   Posts: 1,535,827   Online: 798

Ari

Shooter
    8x10 Format

Pros and Cons of Toyo 810M...

...versus the Kodak Master 8x10.

I currently use and love the KMV 810; while not perfect, it is almost perfect, at least for me.

Relatively light, lots of movements, ample extension, and very sturdy.

And it's easy to fix; I bought one in rough shape, but have since worked it into a much more precise (and prettier) camera.

Drawbacks include age (in relation to condition, not age per se), unavailability/high price of lens boards, few precision movements.

Three of my past 4x5s have been Toyos, and I have a healthy admiration for the G-series; they are very well-built, if somewhat, um, corpulent.

Can anyone fill me in as to the quirks, pros and cons of working with a Toyo 810M?

I'll be considering a switch later on, but I'd like to be a little better informed as to the trade-offs.

I shoot portraits and architecture.

Thanks in advance.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Michael Kadillak can give you a direct comparison since he made the same switch. If I could afford one, I would probably switch too for the same reasons. It is much heavier, nearly or at, 18 pounds. That's roughly 50% heavier. The biggest problem I have with my Kodak is the lensboard, but since I got a Sinar recently for 4x5, I put my lenses on Linhoff boards and use an adapter. I will probably do the same with the Kodak and just make an adapter for the Linhoff boards. They go for $20 or less on eBay as opposed to $100 for Kodak boards.
    www.gregorytdavis.com

Did millions of people suddenly disappear? This may have an answer.

"No one knows that day or hour, not even the angels in heaven, nor the Son, but only the Father." -Matthew 24:36

Ari

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Thank you, Gregory.
    I've sent Michael a PM.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin