Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,899   Posts: 1,584,382   Online: 733

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Doc W View Post
    I shoot LF up to 8x10 and my eyes are ... old. You know how it goes. I have been using a five buck loupe and I think it is time to get a decent one.

Suggestions?
    I use a Peak 10x focussing loupe. With any loupe, it's important to be certain it's focussed on the texture of the groundglass. Do this by removing the lens and pointing the canera so the GG is illuminated, focus the loupe so the texture is clearly seen and either lock or tape the loupe at that setting.
    The trouble with reading glasses is that you cannot do this - do you really want to go to the trouble and expense of 8x10 (or any other format) and do half a job of focussing?

I stated what I use, this works very well for me, my eyes, and my way of working. It may not work well at all for you. It's probably best to try as many different types and powers as you can.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    I use a drapers glass, but with any magnifying glass the quality is very important. Going for a cheap one is a false economy.

“The contemplation of things as they are, without error or confusion, without substitution or imposture, is in itself a nobler thing than a whole harvest of invention”

Francis Bacon

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    I use a Horizon 8X model GHZ103 for critical focusing. It is a very good loupe and got good reviews when new. A pair of .5 to 1 power higher reading glasses on over your standard reading glasses works well also.

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by Jon Shiu View Post
    I have heard you can use a regular 50mm lens from a 35mm camera and use it reversed as a loupe.

Jon
    I've read this as well but have not yet tried it.

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by jumbosilverette View Post
    I've read this as well but have not yet tried it.
    I've not used it for focusing on ground glass as I'm not a LF guy, but reversing a 50mm lens does work rather well for viewing 35mm slides.
    ME Super

Shoot more film.
    There are eight ways to put a slide into a projector tray. Seven of them are wrong.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    I have 40X Microscope loupe. It does have a very bright lamp , It can be focusable also. Its coming from Stamp Collectors online shop , its very cheap and high quality to check engravings on stamps and banknotes. But aligning your eye is difficult. Look for stamp shops , there are many options

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I use a Wista (#211046) and I think it's a nice moderately priced loupe. I don't ever use the clear skirt that came with it, but it's there if you need it. It has a diopter adjustment which is also handy.

Mine was a gift, but if you shop around you should find a good price on it.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    I've used many different loupes over the years and then I stumbled I to a deal on a Schneider 6X ASPH and I can't believe the difference. Worth well more than what I paid.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    i recently bought a rodenstock 4x magnifier form ebay. very good and sharp loupe!

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Thanks for all of these suggestions. I am looking around and may even try the homemade version.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin