Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,990   Posts: 1,524,185   Online: 1082

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Images

Loupe Recommendation

I shoot LF up to 8x10 and my eyes are ... old. You know how it goes. I have been using a five buck loupe and I think it is time to get a decent one.

Suggestions?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    There are lots of good loupes to choose from. It just depends on how much you want to spend. I use a 6X Nikon loupe on my 4x5 I bought used, and it's great. I have never seen one of these before, and I have no idea if they still make them. Otherwise, any of the German optics are usually wonderful, if a little pricy, also Peak makes nice loupes. I have two other loupes made in Russia by Horizon, a 4X for 120 viewing, and an 8X for 35mm. These are great loupes, very sharp, nice coatings, and very reasonably priced. I don't think these are available any more, but probably can be found used. Confused now? Hope it helps a little.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Just make sure that the loupe can be focused on the image on the ground glass.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I know that you're looking to buy a higher-end commercial product, but I was able to make something that I find much easier to use than any loupe I've ever had. I took a +4 close-up lens from a set that was fairly large and attached it (with simple tape) to the end of a plastic tube cut to the focal length of that lens by itself (rough measure by focusing on fine print while sliding the lens along a ruler). The plastic tube I used was cut from a tube of painter's caulk I had just used up. The plastic is soft enough to put flat against the GG without worry and the lens shows a considerable enlargement of the screen without my having to put my eye down to view it–helps a lot with these progressive lens glasses I wear! It's a bit bulky to carry around, and a string around my neck isn't really very comfortable, but I keep it in the case with the 8x10 and have it there whenever I set up. Close-up diopters are a dime a dozen at most photo shows and the tube was free. Having one in each camera case is a pretty easy solution.

Just sayin'.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Whitey, how big is that thing? If I understand diopters correctly, +4 is a 250mm focal length.

Neat idea.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Do some people use the higher power reading glasses found in optical departments of chain stores?
    Matt

“Photography is a complex and fluid medium, and its many factors are not applied in simple sequence. Rather, the process may be likened to the art of the juggler in keeping many balls in the air at one time!”

Ansel Adams, from the introduction to The Negative - The New Ansel Adams Photography Series / Book 2

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I use my everyday reading glasses, and focus from the normal reading distance. I haven't used a loupe for focusing on the viewing screen for a number of years. But sometimes I carry one, just in case I lose the glasses. It's actually the front lens assembly from a small slide projector. Slide projector lens make excellent magnifying lenses. A spare enlarging lens may also work; ie 75mm etc. A decent loupe . . . I've never seen one of those. ;-)
    Last edited by DannL; 07-05-2013 at 11:01 AM. Click to view previous post history.

Regina Canada (sounds more fun than it is)
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    I bought a jewelers loupe at a general store that works well for me - I also have an old enlarging lens that travels with me but doesn't get used much.
    Once a photographer is convinced that the camera can lie and that, strictly speaking, the vast majority of photographs are "camera lies," inasmuch as they tell only part of a story or tell it in a distorted form, half the battle is won. Once he has conceded that photography is not a "naturalistic" medium of rendition and that striving for "naturalism" in a photograph is futile, he can turn his attention to using a camera to make more effective pictures.

Andreas Feininger

Shooter
    Plastic Cameras
    Images
    I have heard you can use a regular 50mm lens from a 35mm camera and use it reversed as a loupe.

Jon
    Mendocino Coast Black and White Photography: www.jonshiu.com

Ari

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    I bought a 12x loupe from Edmund Optics; it's very high-quality and cost about $50.
    I bought it because I was worried that my 5x loupe was not cutting it any more, as my eyes get older.
    So now I use the 5x to get in the zone, and double-check with the 12x.

I use it on both 4x5 and 8x10, and it's especially useful with wider lenses.

If you order from Edmund, make sure you do so over the phone; doing it online will cause your order to be shipped to Canada via UPS.
    You will incur "brokerage fees" of up to 50% of your order.
    Call them, and ask for USPS shipping.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin