Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,908   Posts: 1,556,126   Online: 1224

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by shutterfinger View Post
    Yes, the pack film pictured will work in the pictured film pack adapter. I do not know where you will find user instructions for them though. Basically you lay the pack in the holder with the tabs toward the opening, close the adapter, install the darkslide, pull the start paper tab moving the first sheet into place, expose, pull the next paper tab closest to the darkslide, until all sheets are exposed or rob the exposed sheets in total darkness. The exposed sheets will be at the back of the stack. http://www.graflex.org/helpboard/viewtopic.php?t=620

Pack film is very thin and therefore difficult/delicate to handle. It may fall out of the Mod 54 holder and I'm not sure it would stay in place in a Jobo 2509n reel in a 2500 tank either. Film that old will have a lot of base fog. I found HC110 @ 65°F to minimize base fog.

As for that FR/Yankee slosher tank make it into a planter. They are notorious for sloshing chemicals out during processing and uneven development.
    So I can open the pack in daylight and install it? are you positive? I know other pack film can be opened in daylight but the instructions in the GAF pack say "install into holder in subdued light" so that usually means pitch black... though those instructions COULD be generic for all sheet film and might have not been changed for the pack film instructions... ?

So when you pull the tab, the exposed sheet gets pulled to the back and so only the paper gets pulled out? and then when you're done you take the holder into the dark and open it up and all the exposed sheets are inside? did I read that correctly?

I've successfully exposed nitrite film from 1947, I'm sure I can get an image from this, it's just all about learning how to use the camera and handle the sheets, the development techniques for old film I've pretty much got down pat as far as chemistry and adjusted exposure times etc.

It would be kind of cool to put my bonsai into this, I do need to put it in a new planter.... hmmm....

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Yes, you can take the film pack out in the light. It has opaque paper sheet in front of the first frame. Full instructions are probably on the data sheet in the Kodak box, assuming it's still sealed.

If you've used Polaroid pack films, the concept is similar, except that you don't pull the exposed sheet out, the tab pulls it around the side of the pack and behind the unexposed sheets.

The film is the same thickness as roll film, and it's also slightly smaller than standard sheet film, the guides in the FR tank may be big enough to hold it, but it may not work with the mod 54. However, as stated, the FR tank has never had a very good reputation, so tray development may be the best.
    Getting stuck in the dark with 16 sheets of loose film may not be an ideal time to find out they won't work in the FR tank Your bonsai may like it though.

It is possible to open the pack and remove the exposed frames, then put it back together and back into the holder, but you are probably better off using all the frames before processing.

I've got a few film packs to use one of these days, if I can just remember where my film pack adaptors are.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Quote Originally Posted by StoneNYC View Post
    Ok maybe I'll play with the FR tank since its "sturdier" for the flimsy film and use a MOD54 for the good film later on once I've gotten the hang of the camera.

I won't do tray, I can't put my hands in the chemistry as I have a bad reaction and gloves make it too hard so I guess that's my solution thanks for the details about the flimsy film, and confirming this is in fact the right holder for the job...

~Stone | Sent w/ iPhone using Tapatalk
    A photographer with a skin condition to chemistry. That's too bad. Worse than a dog with an allergic condition to steak.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom1956 View Post
    A photographer with a skin condition to chemistry. That's too bad. Worse than a dog with an allergic condition to steak.
    I think it's my body's way of telling me this stuff should be handled with gloves, which is kind of obvious an photographers of old just didn't care enough. Lol

~Stone | "...of course, that's just my opinion. I could be wrong." ~Dennis Miller

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by bdial View Post
    Yes, you can take the film pack out in the light. It has opaque paper sheet in front of the first frame. Full instructions are probably on the data sheet in the Kodak box, assuming it's still sealed.

If you've used Polaroid pack films, the concept is similar, except that you don't pull the exposed sheet out, the tab pulls it around the side of the pack and behind the unexposed sheets.

The film is the same thickness as roll film, and it's also slightly smaller than standard sheet film, the guides in the FR tank may be big enough to hold it, but it may not work with the mod 54. However, as stated, the FR tank has never had a very good reputation, so tray development may be the best.
    Getting stuck in the dark with 16 sheets of loose film may not be an ideal time to find out they won't work in the FR tank Your bonsai may like it though.

It is possible to open the pack and remove the exposed frames, then put it back together and back into the holder, but you are probably better off using all the frames before processing.

I've got a few film packs to use one of these days, if I can just remember where my film pack adaptors are.
    Thanks, they can he had for $25 on eBay now that I know what I'm looking for, but you can always just send the packs over here instead

~Stone | "...of course, that's just my opinion. I could be wrong." ~Dennis Miller

Shooter
    Large Format
    That's because photo chemicals are just not that poisonous for the most part. Some are, but mostly not.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Those FR tanks generally scratch my negs. NOT GOOD, only on the edge, but still.
    - J. Richard
    4x5 Speed Graphic, Looking for another 8x10.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Well it's all I've got guys... Anyhow, I've confirmed and installed the first pack, chose the GAF one, though now that I think about it I probably should have started with the Tri-x since in my experience GAF seems to age better. Anyway here's a video for anyone else who's never used one (posterity) you old guys will probably laugh at me knowing how easy it is and how specific I'm being about the little things but I think lots of people who've never seen this would not know each detail.

http://youtu.be/vN2eSbX9ab4

Shooter
    35mm
    I used to use a lot of film packs with my 2 1/4 x 3 1/4 Speed Graphic back in the late '50s and early '60s. The film is much thinner than regular sheet film and at least in the 2 1/4 x 3 1/4 was BIGGER than the sheet film (I note that others have said the 4 x 5 version is smaller, IDK) I used to open them in the darkroom all the time to extract just the exposed sheets, but it's probably not a good idea for a first timer.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    I like it so far, I don't know why film packs weren't the standard and why sheet film is the main thing, seems a lot easier to bring 3 film packs somewhere than 15-20 film holders...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin