Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,921   Posts: 1,584,907   Online: 1101

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images

Kodak Type 523, GAF Hypan, and Graphic Film Pack Adapter

Hey guys,

Since no one ever uses pictures to describe anything, I have a lot of trouble matching equipment to old film.

I want to clarify, do both this...

And this...

Go into this...?

I THINK so, but I just want to clarify.

I finally bought a 4x5 camera and this is some stuff a kind APUGer gave me to start out with like a year ago, it's been frozen since and while cleaning out a friends grandfathers house he found that film pack adapter and gave it to me and his grandfather had a camera and tons of negs (and some ektachrome) in 4x5 but no actual normal graflex holders just this.

Anyway can I use this with either of those films?

I want to practice my 4x5 developing on this old film first. I've had good results with expired film but he also had this...

And I'm used to Paterson tanks so I had planned to get a MOD54 but if I can learn to use this tank without spilling developer everywhere (doesn't seem to seal at all) then I'll stick to this and practice with the old film.

(PS anyone who has some extra and doesn't want it let me know).

Thanks for any knowledge on any of this.

~Stone | Sent w/ iPhone using Tapatalk
    ~Stone | "...of course, that's just my opinion. I could be wrong." ~Dennis Miller

Shooter
    Large Format
    That FR tank is a beast to use. It leaks out the top like a sieve. And everybody has a useless film pack adapter.Loading that FR is an art. It takes 12, but I'd highly recommend skippping every other one and doing 6. What you have here is a load of basically useless junk. But since you actually have a pack of film, knock yoursel out. Fifty years ago, this junk was omnipresent.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom1956 View Post
    That FR tank is a beast to use. It leaks out the top like a sieve. And everybody has a useless film pack adapter.Loading that FR is an art. It takes 12, but I'd highly recommend skippping every other one and doing 6. What you have here is a load of basically useless junk. But since you actually have a pack of film, knock yoursel out. Fifty years ago, this junk was omnipresent.
    Haha thanks Tom,

Yea I'll use the film, but I get the impression you think I should spend the money on the MOD54?

~Stone | "...of course, that's just my opinion. I could be wrong." ~Dennis Miller

Shooter
    Large Format
    Don't know what a mod54 is. Right now Car 54 is on the TV, but don't know nuttin' about any mod54.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Don't know what a mod54 is. Right now Car 54 is on the TV, but don't know nuttin' about any mod54.
    You have google right? Lol

It's a 4x5 film insert for a Paterson tank, it takes 6 sheets.

The new version is supposed to be ok with little slipped film (film that slops out of alignment).

Anyway what do you suggest for 4x5 development then?

Shooter
    Large Format
    I always used a tray. I do 1:1 on D-76, which means a tank gulps up a lot of expensive developer. Tanks may be fine if you do straight developer and replentisher, but I don't shoot enough to justify this.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    I always used a tray. I do 1:1 on D-76, which means a tank gulps up a lot of expensive developer. Tanks may be fine if you do straight developer and replentisher, but I don't shoot enough to justify this.
    It's only a liter of chemistry, Rodinal or HC-110 1L isn't a lot of chemical.

And I don't have a darkroom so it has to be a light tight tank...

Shooter
    Large Format
    Well, let us put it this way--an FR tank isn't noted as something that gives smooth even development. OK for a newspaper photographer in 1948, but not for you. And besides, pack film is as flimsey as wet toilet paper. It can even slip out of its grooves under agitation, causing a batch of stuck-together film. All you need is 2 or 3 trays and a closet.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Well, let us put it this way--an FR tank isn't noted as something that gives smooth even development. OK for a newspaper photographer in 1948, but not for you. And besides, pack film is as flimsey as wet toilet paper. It can even slip out of its grooves under agitation, causing a batch of stuck-together film. All you need is 2 or 3 trays and a closet.
    Ok maybe I'll play with the FR tank since its "sturdier" for the flimsy film and use a MOD54 for the good film later on once I've gotten the hang of the camera.

I won't do tray, I can't put my hands in the chemistry as I have a bad reaction and gloves make it too hard so I guess that's my solution thanks for the details about the flimsy film, and confirming this is in fact the right holder for the job...

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Yes, the pack film pictured will work in the pictured film pack adapter. I do not know where you will find user instructions for them though. Basically you lay the pack in the holder with the tabs toward the opening, close the adapter, install the darkslide, pull the start paper tab moving the first sheet into place, expose, pull the next paper tab closest to the darkslide, until all sheets are exposed or rob the exposed sheets in total darkness. The exposed sheets will be at the back of the stack. http://www.graflex.org/helpboard/viewtopic.php?t=620

Pack film is very thin and therefore difficult/delicate to handle. It may fall out of the Mod 54 holder and I'm not sure it would stay in place in a Jobo 2509n reel in a 2500 tank either. Film that old will have a lot of base fog. I found HC110 @ 65°F to minimize base fog.

As for that FR/Yankee slosher tank make it into a planter. They are notorious for sloshing chemicals out during processing and uneven development.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin