Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,940   Posts: 1,585,668   Online: 941

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Shooter
    4x5 Format
    I don't know what kind of glue they used, but...wow. It won't peel off. You can't scrape it off. Using a razor blade won't work because the wood is soft and it's too easy to dig into it. Even the solvents I use for stripping the decals and pinstripes off cars didn't work. Ended up using AN ELECTRIC SANDER to remove it.
    Use Steam. Wet a cloth or sponge almost to a drip with very hot water. Place saturated cloth on a section of the body for 3 to 5 minutes. Using a straight edge rigid blade putty knife scrape the covering off. Leaving the wet cloth on too long results in the covering turning to goo and the grain of the wood starts to raise.

2 1/4 X 3 1/4 RB Series B made in 1949:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	A5.jpg 
Views:	31 
Size:	144.6 KB 
ID:	86603 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	A7.jpg 
Views:	30 
Size:	137.3 KB 
ID:	86604Click image for larger version. 

Name:	F.jpg 
Views:	32 
Size:	128.6 KB 
ID:	86602

Shooter
    Large Format
    Quote Originally Posted by shutterfinger View Post
    Use Steam. Wet a cloth or sponge almost to a drip with very hot water. Place saturated cloth on a section of the body for 3 to 5 minutes. Using a straight edge rigid blade putty knife scrape the covering off. Leaving the wet cloth on too long results in the covering turning to goo and the grain of the wood starts to raise.

Nice! Now you tell me . Mental note made for future reference...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by shutterfinger View Post

I've one of those (postcard size) Graflex reflex cameras to rebuild, after I've rebuilt a few British SLRs, and a dozen or more shutters .

This one's been recovered just needs final assembly after I fitted new shutter curtains - the shutter and mirror box is modular so much easier than Graflex cameras, much more modern shutter design as well (despite being older).

Ian
    Last edited by Ian Grant; 04-21-2014 at 04:17 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Quote Originally Posted by WayneStevenson View Post
    I never did like the look. I was thinking about it when I got mine naked and seen the work involved to put new clothing on. But I pushed forward and never gave up. Heh.

Attachment 72080
    Wow. That's pretty!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Thanks.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    It's a free country. I took the battleship grey paint off an Ansco 5x7 and spiffed it up. (Wondering still if I ingested lead?).
    It was then a "pretty crappy camera". Probably on e-bay right now, I sold it 20 years ago. Do what you want, this reminds me though of all the old buildings with "exposed brick" walls. This was considered "low class" at one time. Plus you have to deal with mortar and sand falling off the wall, and tiny bugs. Plaster and horse hair was what was on most of these walls. That leather was good stuff, protected the wood from water, and bangs. Those cameras were built to live a tough life. All but two of the "masters of the graphic" are dead that I know/learned from. One guy told me he could shoot a wedding with only 12 double sided holders, he'd shoot two weddings and deliver the prints at the reception sometimes. (Take that DSLR's).

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin