Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,549   Posts: 1,544,641   Online: 783

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Shooter
    Large Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Klainmeister View Post
    "He must be compensating for something..."

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images

Pffft, I get that when using the RZ. Some people just don't understand what "big" is.

Occasionally I get comments about how I must be a professional (or "that's a good camera") when I carry my DSLR with vertical grip to kids birthday parties etc. People are generally puzzled to hear that it's my toy/smallest camera, with bonus points for wife-embarrassment-factor.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    That's true. I have a lot more respect for a guy who pulls up in a little old Mazda and erects a 16x20 camera than one who pulls up in his lifted Ford and takes a self-portrait with an iPhone.
    K.S. Klain

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    LF camera for me is a practice of photographic meditation. I slow down and struggle with the camera until I get into a zone where my mind quiets enough to insert the film holder, pull the dark slide and click the shutter. The journey is the best part.
    "Photography, like surfing, is an infinite process, a constantly evolving exploration of life."
    Aaron Chang

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images

This made me burst out laughing... I'm on the train and now everyone is looking at me... Lol

~Stone | Sent w/ iPhone using Tapatalk
    ~Stone | "...of course, that's just my opinion. I could be wrong." ~Dennis Miller

Shooter
    Large Format
    At this age in life I finally got my first 8x10 a few months ago. Now, all that 4x5 stuff seems like 35mm's to me, like ...what's the point? Still have to use an enlarger, still carry around the bulk, so where's the advantag?. Seriously thinking of getting rid of Crowns and a Calumet I've had for 35 years. I mean, if you're going to drag out a beast of a camera, why fool with those little 4x5's and not just go ahead and use the 8x10. With x-ray film, of course. I refuse to pay $10 a sheet for film. That's just absurd.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom1956 View Post
    At this age in life I finally got my first 8x10 a few months ago. Now, all that 4x5 stuff seems like 35mm's to me, like ...what's the point? Still have to use an enlarger, still carry around the bulk, so where's the advantag?. Seriously thinking of getting rid of Crowns and a Calumet I've had for 35 years. I mean, if you're going to drag out a beast of a camera, why fool with those little 4x5's and not just go ahead and use the 8x10. With x-ray film, of course. I refuse to pay $10 a sheet for film. That's just absurd.
    Keep 1 4x5... X ray film won't be around forever...

~Stone | "...of course, that's just my opinion. I could be wrong." ~Dennis Miller

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by StoneNYC View Post
    Keep 1 4x5... X ray film won't be around forever...

+1
    xray film is double sided so it kills your chemistry 2x as fast ..

Shooter
    Large Format
    No, I'm getting tired of owning cameras. Like a woman who doesn't know which dress to wear, so she goes out in stretch pants. Likewise I'm not taking pictures, not really. I'm about to get rid of the whole lot--35's MF, 4x5's, and just keep my Hass C/M and the 8x10. In another thread I was investigating fixing up the Rollei 3.5E I've had since 1976, but I'll be darned if I'm going to pay 225 just to have the front element polished and coated, not when I have a perfectly good CM. The more cameras you own is the less pictures you take.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Each camera I own speaks its own language. Because of this each camera has its own unique way to assist me in saying what I'm trying to say. I decide which one to pick up based on the mood I'm in and the story I want to tell. I would no more intentionally sell off a second or third camera on a whim than I would intentionally forget a second or third language on a whim.

If I have several cameras from which to choose and I can't seem to ever choose one and so find myself taking less pictures and telling fewer stories, it's not the choice of cameras that is at fault.

Ken
    "They are the proof that something was there and no longer is. Like a stain. And the stillness of them is boggling. You can turn away but when you come back they’ll still be there looking at you."

— Diane Arbus, March 15, 1971, in response to a request for a brief statement about photographs

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin