Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,931   Posts: 1,556,922   Online: 1091

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Any film camera will illicit a response from people. Or even get rid of them with the noise it makes. I cleared the decks at Erskine Falls with a humble 67.
    PS: Be aware that the area around the pier is a hot spot for thefts from cars, also Erskine Falls and Blanket Leaf.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Ken Nadvornick View Post
    Each camera I own speaks its own language. Because of this each camera has its own unique way to assist me in saying what I'm trying to say. I decide which one to pick up based on the mood I'm in and the story I want to tell. I would no more intentionally sell off a second or third camera on a whim than I would intentionally forget a second or third language on a whim.

If I have several cameras from which to choose and I can't seem to ever choose one and so find myself taking less pictures and telling fewer stories, it's not the choice of cameras that is at fault.

Ken
    What if you had a house full of hobbies, too much junk, and not enough ordinary comfort? Junk lying around everywhere is a ship dragging anchor. I'm tired of all this junk (stuff, equipment, whatever). You guys on this site have been inspiring. I just want to take pictures. I got bit by the bug in 1971, and really want to just get back to it. I thank god it wasn't the golf-bug my 82 year-old-Dad still has. With that, I'll conclude my thread-hogging.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I suppose if I considered my cameras to be nothing more than junk that was interfering with my comfort, then yes, I'd probably want to trash them all and be done with it. But that's not how I think about my cameras.

I guess YMMV...

Ken
    "They are the proof that something was there and no longer is. Like a stain. And the stillness of them is boggling. You can turn away but when you come back they’ll still be there looking at you."

— Diane Arbus, March 15, 1971, in response to a request for a brief statement about photographs

Shooter
    Large Format
    Some day if you're ever on the up-side of getting over a horrible illness (TG it wasn't cancer), you tend to see things different. You don't have to have actual cancer of the prostate for that miserable little organ to debilitate you. Now I wanna take pictures and I think a Hasselblad 500 CM is perfectly good for most every kind. Who really needs anything more?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    As I said, YMMV...

Ken
    "They are the proof that something was there and no longer is. Like a stain. And the stillness of them is boggling. You can turn away but when you come back they’ll still be there looking at you."

— Diane Arbus, March 15, 1971, in response to a request for a brief statement about photographs

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Tom1956 said
    "The more cameras you own is the less pictures you take."

There is a lot of truth there. I've got 35mm slrs and rangefinders, 120 tlrs and slrs, and 2 4x5s. I've been photographically dormant for a few years, since I moved and lost the darkroom. Now I've set up another darkroom and am trying really hard to get my mojo back, but it ain't easy. I won't hijack this thread, felt I had to validate the statement.

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by jerrybro View Post
    Now I've set up another darkroom and am trying really hard to get my mojo back, but it ain't easy.
    Reestablishing the flow can be tough, at least for me. That is why I read these threads. I appreciate the reminder in my otherwise non-photographic life of why I am drawn to this and that.

When it comes to large(ish) format, I am still on by first 25 sheet box of 4x5, after about 3 years. Good start, marginal progression, and then life happened (two or three times, and another coming up).

But those negatives are somehow magical, so I know I will keep getting back to it.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Poisson Du Jour View Post
    Any film camera will illicit a response from people. Or even get rid of them with the noise it makes. I cleared the decks at Erskine Falls with a humble 67.
    With one of these:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Photosniper_-_assembled.jpg 
Views:	78 
Size:	668.7 KB 
ID:	71868

You'd probably clear the decks in half the time and then have the local ATF/SWAT team providing security across the area

Shooter
    Large Format
    That's a COMD (camera of mass destruction).

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by jerrybro View Post
    "The more cameras you own is the less pictures you take."

There is a lot of truth there.
    Respectfully disagree. The original statement is a projection of a personal situation. There is no causal relationship between the number of tools beyond the minimum necessary and the amount of work that gets done.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin