Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,963   Posts: 1,523,190   Online: 864

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images

The Allure of the Large Format Camera

We spent a few days in Lorne in the middle of the school holidays, and each morning I went down to the pier to take some photos before and during the sunrise. I did this for three mornings and it was only on the last morning that I set up the large format 4 x 5 Wista for a few shots as the sun was rising. There were only two other people on the beach, apart from several fishermen way down at the end of the pier. Both the others were taking snapshots. Within one minute of starting to set up the camera, both people had come racing over to see the camera and both were surprised that you can still get "old fashioned" cameras like that. They were genuinely impressed.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    For sure that's true! As almost exclusively a 35mm kinda guy, if I ever run into you LF folks, I'm so thrilled to check out the rig
    Andy

Shooter
    Multi Format
    The first question I always get is "How old is it?" and then I watch their jaws drop when I tell them that I bought it brand new and that they are still being produced (I have a Wista 4x5 and a Wista 8x10, both field cameras).

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    The second question is often "Can you still get plates for that ?" - Well yes, Ilford and others still manufacture glass plates, but at ten quid a pop, it is much cheaper and easier to shoot film.

Shooter
    35mm
    Where ever I set up my 8x10 Seneca I usually attract a small crowd.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    This happened with me and my Wista wandering around Brisbane on the weekend. I love it - I meet folks of all kinds on travels with the 5x4'!

Marc!
    Marc Morel
    photographie argentique!
    ------------
    http://mrmarcmorel.wordpress.com/

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    It's part of the fun shooting LF. That said, it's also the only camera I have used publicly where people recognize I am taking an 'important' image and will mind not stepping into the frame.
    K.S. Klain

Shooter
    Large Format
    Brings to mind the late afternoon shot of a large frozen waterfall during a prolonged cold spell, shooting over the fenced railing of a tourist lookout (only safe vantage under the conditions) with my 4x5 Sinar Norma. Under the darkcloth, I heard a woman with a slight German(?) accent say excitedly, "Hans, look! A real camera!" I came out from under the cloth and turned around to her. Her big smile and eyes lit up and twinkling, she said "What kind of camera is that?" I told her "It's Swiss." She answered "Oooooh!" Hans never appeared.

Shooter
    Large Format
    When using my 4x5 Tachihara I get asked if I refinished the antique camera myself. With the 8x10 Wehman they just comment that it's so big. I wonder what the 16x20 guys hear.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Alan Gales View Post
    When using my 4x5 Tachihara I get asked if I refinished the antique camera myself. With the 8x10 Wehman they just comment that it's so big. I wonder what the 16x20 guys hear.
    "He must be compensating for something..."

K.S. Klain

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin