Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 74,531   Posts: 1,645,752   Online: 1001

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr Croubie View Post
    In a perfect world, with so-called 'perfect knowledge', yes. But fleabay is not a perfect world, sometimes it benefits the buyers (when sellers don't know what they're selling and one canny buyer knows its true value and noone else notices).
    But sometimes it benefits the sellers (especially when the buyers don't do their research).

I present exhibit A, the Voigtlander Nokton 40mm f/1.4, brand new at B+H, US$450 for either Multi- or Single-Coated versions.
    Now let me present exhibit B, the exact same lens brand new, sold for €440 on fleabay (US$580). That's the most expensive one that's actually sold, but there are some listed for US$800 up there.

Again, it's a lens I would like, but I'm not paying more than $300 second-hand. I may eventually give up and buy one new from B+H. Or buy two, and resell one on fleabay for more than I paid at B+H.
    If you can't beat 'em, join 'em.
    No, you don't want to be THAT guy.

jcc
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Placing the film holder at a premium price will exclude a lot of the consumers from the film, which in turn will be discontinued by Fujifilm because of (surprise!) low demand. They're killing the medium.

AgX

Shooter
    Multi Format
    The classic approach of the industry was to offer tools (cameras etc.) at resonable or even low prices to gain by that entry into use and sale of their expendables (films etc.).
    Whether this still comes true for Fuji and their packfilm is questionable.

xya

Shooter
    Multi Format
    just bought one holder on the famous auction site for 75€ with "buy-it-now" option from a pro and another one for 25€ only from an ad. it took me about a month to find these. be patient and don't pay that fancy prices.

AgX

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by AgX View Post
    The classic approach of the industry was to offer tools (cameras etc.) at resonable or even low prices to gain by that entry into use and sale of their expendables (films etc.).
    Whether this still comes true for Fuji and their packfilm is questionable.
    Oops... Fuji DO offer both types of peel-apart-film holders.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Hey USA guys, B&H is selling some 4x5 pack film right now, it's expensive compared to the smaller stuff, but not compared to shipping from china, get it while its hot! (I could only afford 2).

Sent w/ iPhone using Tapatalk

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I'm gonna necro this thread a little bit.

A few months ago, my daughter and I went to pick up some darkroom supplies from a fellow who was getting out of film. Since I was a student, he told me there wouldn't be any charge for the stuff, but I sent him a check for $40 anyway, just for the principle of the thing.

Today, while digging around for some stuff to get a pinhole project going, I finally dug into the box he gave me. There's a full range of rollfilm tanks, some chemicals (I'll be careful to check them... or just use it on expired stuff), paper, other assorted supplies, and a mint condition....

405 back! In the box, instructions and all, fully intact! Woot!

I think I'm gonna start out by building a foamboard pinhole camera around it. I have about 3 packs of fp100c just lying around since I bought that broken Land camera.
    As for the latter, I'm considering either upgrading it with a fully manual LF lens, or just gutting the lensboard and putting a pinhole in that.
    -----------------------------
    In 3D where available, void where prohibited by Law.
    -------------------------------

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by jcc View Post
    Placing the film holder at a premium price will exclude a lot of the consumers from the film, which in turn will be discontinued by Fujifilm because of (surprise!) low demand. They're killing the medium.
    I kind of doubt that - there are plenty of people cleaning up the old land cameras (I use two of 'em) and using MF (me again) and even 35 polaroid backs (ditto, Nikon Forscher back in the closet). And even so, it wasn't enough to keep 3000 (or the 100 B&W) in production. The number of 4x5 shooters wanting polaroid doesn't seem like it would be a big market boost. Especially since, in the last few years, there just wasn't the 80s/90s era range of emulsions that you could rely on for proofing.

I'd really guess the price of a newly manufactured pack film back for 4x5 is based on there being a very tiny market for something that probably takes a lot of hand assembly and parts. As for used pricing - if you want to shoot pack film on your Cambo, it's the only game in town.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I remember buying a Polaroid #405 new in the box back from a Polaroid distributor in the late seventies. I paid $69 and that was a lot of dough at the time. Now recently I bought one and I thought I got a good deal at a bit under $150. Who would have guessed?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Whats with the Resurrection of old threads today. Seems like some sort of back from the dead movement.
    Items for sale or trade at www.Camera35.com

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin