Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,908   Posts: 1,521,518   Online: 891

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images

New Toyo45A mold in ground glass

Ugh, I feel like mold plagues me everywhere...

Just got my first 4x5 in.

It doesn't SMELL like mold like everything else I've gotten that made me cautious, but there were mold spores between the focusing screen and ground glass, which gave me pause.

I've put the body out in the sun and been rotating it to try and get all the sides etc, and taken apart the glass holder and washed it and no more mold spots... What do you think? Send it back to Japan or keep it?

It's used, eBay, PITA to ship back, but don't want to be foolish.

Looks like this Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1374349097.056513.jpg 
Views:	52 
Size:	27.4 KB 
ID:	71959
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1374349109.788273.jpg 
Views:	48 
Size:	60.5 KB 
ID:	71960
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1374349121.288680.jpg 
Views:	49 
Size:	94.9 KB 
ID:	71961

It seems to only be concentrated at the center of the ground glass and not on the edges. Again it was wedged between the two pieces and not on the outside...

Suggestions?

~Stone | Sent w/ iPhone using Tapatalk
    ~Stone | "...of course, that's just my opinion. I could be wrong." ~Dennis Miller

Shooter
    35mm
    Bleach it! I don't have any LF gear (yet), but I hope to at some stage. If you bought it cheap to use, give it a good scrub, and get on with it. If you're worried about it contaminating your other gear, keep that we'll away. Once you know if 5x4 is for you, you can decide whether to keep it, or sell and upgrade. Alex

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Alex Muir View Post
    Bleach it! I don't have any LF gear (yet), but I hope to at some stage. If you bought it cheap to use, give it a good scrub, and get on with it. If you're worried about it contaminating your other gear, keep that we'll away. Once you know if 5x4 is for you, you can decide whether to keep it, or sell and upgrade. Alex
    Upgrade? it's a Toyo45A!!! cheap... I think not... lol

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    The bellows look and smell brand new, so I think I'm ok... but it looks like he didn't wipe down the body before he installed them, and I'm not about to mess with disassembling the bellows when I've never worked with LF before. I've sprayed the whole thing with rubbing alcohol and washed the glass with soap, scratched the hell out of the plastic viewfinder but the ground glass is ok.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    why don't you call toyo ( they are in new york )
    they might have suggestions too ...
    ( they are super helpful )

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by jnanian View Post
    why don't you call toyo ( they are in new york )
    they might have suggestions too ...
    ( they are super helpful )
    Thanks, you guys are the mold experts though, I trust you, this isn't toyo specific, this is just camera and mold issues, usually when I see mold, I smell it, but the camera smells fine... but again, if the whole thing is metal, and the bellows that WERE moldy were replaced, there could be spores on the inside hiding in the gears etc but not smell, and I know there are spores everywhere, but if they were once active, is that a higher risk, or am I ok etc... these are the things I'm looking to know from the community. What would APUGer do... what would Ron do... haha

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Always wash ground glass and fresnels with your finger tips only rubbing the fresnel in the direction of the ribs only. I use Dawn dish soap. I spray mildewed bellows with Lysol Disinfectant Spray on the inside after washing the outside down with Isopropyl Alcohol. Treat the outside of the bellows with Pledge Furniture Polish in the yellow spray can as a final step. The bees wax and lemon oil is good for vinyl and leather.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by shutterfinger View Post
    Always wash ground glass and fresnels with your finger tips only rubbing the fresnel in the direction of the ribs only. I use Dawn dish soap. I spray mildewed bellows with Lysol Disinfectant Spray on the inside after washing the outside down with Isopropyl Alcohol. Treat the outside of the bellows with Pledge Furniture Polish in the yellow spray can as a final step. The bees wax and lemon oil is good for vinyl and leather.
    The bellows appear to be cloth based... they smell like new product, plastics etc I think, but definitely woven material, is pledge still advisable? never heard of that.. (the light block window thing does seem to be vinyl or leather and is flaking so that is old...

I've already done the damage to the fresnel, but that doesn't bother me so long as the ground glass is ok, I can always get a new piece of plastic (I assume) ... do they make split frame focus fresnels?

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    "is pledge still advisable?"
    Yes. one source is Target. http://www.target.com/p/pledge-lemon...11&term=pledge
    Currently called Lemon Clean.
    "The bellows appear to be cloth based."
    Bellows are cloth inside and leather or vinyl on the outside normally. Use the Pledge on the leather, vinyl, or wood parts. For a complete list of materials it works on see http://www.pledge.com/en-US/Products/Pages/default.aspx and click on the yellow can.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    All it takes is one drop of rain to get in between the fresnel and ground glass to muck things up. Usually it dries in a day if you leave the camera out. This happens whenever I shoot in the rain a d drives me nuts cuz it makes it hard to see well.
    www.vinnywalsh.com

I know what I want but I just don't know how to go about gettin' it.-Hendrix

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin