Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,648   Posts: 1,481,286   Online: 727

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Come on, don't you know everyone is a collector in need of that model to complete their collection and are willing to pay beyond top dollar to get it?
    Check http://www.keh.com/ they usually have a few bodies for reasonable prices. $200 for a body only in good condition; $400 for a body with lens in shutter that may be in need of a CLA; $600 for a body with a lens in shutter that has been recently serviced and or some accessories.

A Crown Graphic Special came with a 135mm Xenar, had Special on the lens board lock, and sold for $20 less than a Crown with a 135mm Optar when new. Ebay sellers price the Crown Graphic Special significantly higher than the regular Crown. I am not clear on whether the Xenar is a lower preforming lens than the Optar (Wollensak) or if it was offered at a lower price to Graflex as a customer getting ploy or if it was less costly to produce and import.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I paid $70 or $80 for two Speed Graphics (from the US) about 6 years ago sold as parts cameras to make one good one, only problem was when they arrived one was pre-Anniversary the other Pacemaker, no parts at all are interchageable. It appeared to have been a distasterous purchase.

However the Pre-Anniversary was modified from new as a wide angle camera and I was able to fully restore it although I left of the leatherette, I rebuilt the shutter. No costs other than some shellac (french polish) and other paints.

The Pacemaker had no shutter it had been removed the bellows were rotten, the inner rails for the focus track badly damaged, I bought two new off ebay, recovered the body after filling in the cut out for the shutter controls, patched the belows using a thin invisible mend tape, and it now looks like a Crown Graphic.

I would rebuild more if I found them, however I'm currently making a new camera based on Speed Graphic parts I bought off the LF forum, essentially a new box wider to allow a 6x17 back, I'm usinga Super Graphic front standard modified to fit which gives me far better movements on the front. I'll be posting details once I get started.

Ian

Shooter
    35mm
    Maybe I should sell the one I have.
    1 Super Speed with case, flash,film holders
    1 Super Speed w/lens
    1 Crown Graphic in its original packaging
    1 of the smaller sized 3 x4(?) also with case ,120 film back, film holders, flash,

One of these days I will have to take them out and see if everything works on them, maybe I could finance a trip to Europe off them.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by NDKodak View Post
    1 Super Speed w/lens
    1 of the smaller sized 3 x4(?) also with case ,120 film back, film holders, flash,

One of these days I will have to take them out and see if everything works on them, maybe I could finance a trip to Europe off them.
    Those should be worth at least six or seven million. . . ! $$
    - J. Richard
    4x5 Speed Graphic, Looking for another 8x10.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Hi JohnRichard: The reason for the high prices -- although $1800 is excessive -- on a Speed + Aero Ektar are a) these lenses are getting hard to find, b) the lenses are currently much desired for their shallow DOF effects, and c) a fair amount of modification is needed to mount an Aero Ektar. Jo Lommen's informative website gives the details:
    http://lommen9.home.xs4all.nl/
    An example of Aero Ektar results:
    http://www.rangefinderforum.com/foru...ad.php?t=93933
    The photographer David Burnett has used the Aero Ektar to great effect.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    "I was able to fully restore it although I left of the leatherette"
    Folmer and Schwing cameras made from 1890 through cameras made by Folmer Graphic to 1946 were covered with XXX Moroccan leather. Cameras made by Graflex from 1947 through 1973 are covered with leatherette (naugahyde).
    Cameras made from 1890 through 1923? use brass hardware plated with .0005 inch silver. Cameras made after 1923? use brass hardware that is painted gray or black.
    1890-1905 Folmer and Schwing Manufacturing Company
    1905 purchased by Eastman Kodak
    1907-1926 Folmer and Schwing Division Eastman Kodak Co.
    1917-1926 Folmer-Century Division Eastman Kodak Co. but name plate may say Folmer and Schwing Division Eastman Kodak.
    1926-1927 Folmer and Schwing Department Eastman Kodak Co.
    1928-1944 Folmer Graflex
    1945-1973 Graflex Inc.
    Self owned, Division of General Precision Corp., Division of Singer Co.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by mwdake View Post
    The classifieds on APUG often have Speed?Crown Graphics for sale at better prices.
    I bought my Super Graphic from a APUG forum sale for $275 and it was a full kit in great condition; that was about 4 years ago though.
    This is a great point. I've bought almost all my used gear off of APUG, and have never had a problem...it supports a great website and a great community.

And I'll chime in for the Crown Graphic -- I got one with a working rangefinder and Schneider lens. Fantastic camera for travelling -- tough, compact and travels well. And yes, those 4x5 negatives are very sweet.
    "Never criticize someone until you've walked a mile in their shoes. That way, you're a mile away and you've got their shoes."

MY BLOG - www.reservedatalltimes.com
    YOU SHOULD LOOK AT THIS SITE - www.colincorneau.com
    INSTAGRAM: colincorneau

San Francisco, CA | Kuching, MY | Jakarta, ID
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Picked up my 1957 Crown with 1953 Ektar 127/4.7 some years back for a couple hundred dollars. Is quite clean with no serious flaws. I think SGs are being jacked up in price due to the whole Aero-Ektar thing - which is of course yet another "you'll never need anything else!" rathole for people to get wrapped up in.

I've personally never had a need for anything other than a Crown. Lighter too.
    Stop worrying about grain, resolution, sharpness, and everything else that doesn't have a damn thing to do with substance.

http://www.flickr.com/kediwah

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    The advantage of a Speed Graphic is that the focal plane shutter allows the use of interesting/funky lenses in barrel.
    Art should unsettle the comfortable, and comfort the unsettled.

My photo website: http://frankfoto.jimdo.com/

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by NDKodak View Post
    1 Super Speed w/lens

Maybe you better come to Europe first and sell them here. You would get much more for them.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin