Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,765   Posts: 1,516,386   Online: 1007

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    San Francisco, CA | Kuching, MY | Jakarta, ID
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by frank View Post
    The advantage of a Speed Graphic is that the focal plane shutter allows the use of interesting/funky lenses in barrel.
    Agreed. But so does a hat.

I don't need that feature often enough to want to have it by default.
    Stop worrying about grain, resolution, sharpness, and everything else that doesn't have a damn thing to do with substance.

http://www.flickr.com/kediwah

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by NDKodak View Post
    1 Crown Graphic in its original packaging
    I'm curious. 4x5? Do you know what year?

Ken
    "Hate is an adolescent term used to stop discussion with people you disagree with. You can do better than that."
    —'blanksy', December 13, 2013

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnRichard View Post
    Those should be worth at least six or seven million. . . ! $$
    Or you could look at the other extreme. 3 or the 4 Graphics I have were given to me for free, $0.00.
    I have found this to be true about old photography equipment there is always someone wanting a ridiculous amount of money for a item with the Buy Now/Bid option on Ebay and no ever bids because it over priced. Then there is the group of people that say you can have it for free, local pick up only. They just want the stuff gone out of their basement or garage. I recently scored 3 Alpa 35mm bodies with their fancy German and French lens, 3 LF Graphic cameras, Kowa MF system, enlarger, lights and more, just because I was willing to remove it from their property. The old lady said."Once it leaves it doesn't come back".
    As I have started up doing film photography again my goal was to set up my darkroom using only free equipment. Now I have several enlargers, bunches of trays and developing tanks. I will most likely wait till I find someone worthy and gift them a darkroom set up and hopefully help keep film photography alive.

Shooter
    Large Format
    A Graphic is the perfect camera for a dunderhead like me to develop blank film. After 47 years since I got my first Instamatic 104, and all the photographic knowledge I have; it is my very nature of my knucklehead boob negligence to leave the rear shutter closed, or let it get that way unintentionally.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I am keeping my eye on the 'bay constantly for a cheap Crown Graphic. I don't even need it to have a lens and the bellows can be shot since I have practically new Crown Graphic bellows here that I will more likely use in my own build because I won't wait for years to start shooting 4x5. Unfortunately, even the moldy, lensless ones are quite highly priced and some even marketed as in working order. And living in the middle of nowhere means no Craigslist for me. I don't know if I have said it in this forum before but the analog gear aftermarket here is pretty much Smenas and Zenits going for hundreds of Euros. Sold by old ladies as relics from the Soviet occupation.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    When I bought my first 4x5 Anniversary Speed through Ebay, some 5 or 6 years ago, there were a half dozen or so that sold the same day, virtually indistinguishable from one another by description. They varied in sales price from $75 to $450. The passion engendered in a bidding war sometimes makes people a bit crazy. Patience and shopping/prospecting locally seems to be the more fruitful path, at least around a city like Boston.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I purchased a 1955 Speed Graphic with the 135 mm standard lens and the Fresnel ground glass back one year ago for $209 shipped.
    It is in excellent condition, all working and the shutters are accurate.
    I use it with the RH/8 back and medium format lenses.

After a lifetime using slr, I find it difficult to operate especially hand held, I usually mess up some shots per roll by incorrectly sequencing shutter dark slide and film winder

here it is with a Computar 105 ~150 mm variable focal lens which is adapted via a home machined lens board
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Computar_On_Speed.jpg  

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    two years ago I bought my speed graphic from eBay and from European seller for 270 Euros (today's rate is USD 355). Fine and working condition with optar 135mm and kalart RF.

Perhaps not the cheapest, but as I got cheaper shipping costs (flatrate shipping from italy to finland) and needed no customs and taxes that way, it was good deal when comparing buying from US.

So pricing of speeds in Europe aren't always such high.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin