Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,979   Posts: 1,523,753   Online: 1179

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images

Speed Graphic Prices

Is a speed graphic really worth $600 - 800?
    I picked mine up in case with mint flash, holders, extras for less that $100.
    I mean, I guess they are worth that because they routinely sell in that range.
    I am baffled. Or, am I just totally oblivious to the cost of these cameras?

So what is happening to the price of these machines?
    Also, why are people thinking they can get $1800 or more for a speed with an aero-ektar attached?
    Negative.

I should mention that I do also see the cameras available for sub-hundred prices.
    Just wondering what is going on?!
    - J. Richard
    4x5 Speed Graphic, Looking for another 8x10.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    UK/European prices for Graflex cameras are very much higher than the US this must be having a knock on effect, so yes somer are fetching $600+ but often to people who don't really know what the more realistic prices are.

Ian

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Condition, location, and confidence in the seller. Comparing to what they sold for when new with adjustment for the value of the money, then & now, $600 to $800 sounds cheap for a top condition camera. JMHO
    Items for sale or trade at www.Camera35.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I've been wanting a Speed/Crown Graphic for a long time now but the cost has prohibited it. And yes, I live in Europe.
    While browsing the fleabay I noticed that some go for completely insane prices, not to mention the venerable Graflok back that often costs more than a functioning camera.
    And turning this into unpopular opinion thread: Aero Ektar is rubbish, it has a cult fame but as a taking lens it is nothing special IMO, except for the highly radioactive rear elements.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Fleabay prices often reflect whatever a crazy person will pay. Patience is often rewarded. I paid $500 for my Crown and received 8 good film holders, the Crown was in excellent shape, the 135mm was clean, unscratched and shutter works at all speeds. Several other bits in the case, lens brush, cable release viewing cloth. All around some watching time brought one across my sights.

Crown graphics turn up on our local Craigslist on occasion at reasonable prices. You just have to be patient.

Shooter
    Large Format
    I bought a nice Crown with Xenar off Ebay for $400.00. It came with a few very lightly used Toyo film holders.

Yeah, I can't believe what some sellers are trying to get for them. The demand for the aero-ektar I suspect is a fad.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    I would like to use one (aero-ektar) but I don't know that I would use one enough to OWN one...
    I would like some kind of regular lens that was faster than my 127 / f4.7.
    I would also like to play around with some barrel lenses since I have a focal plane shutter.
    - J. Richard
    4x5 Speed Graphic, Looking for another 8x10.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    A while back I purchased a semi-beater 4x5 Crown just to see if we got along. I loved the camera. And the huge handheld RF negatives. So recently (within the last few months) I purchased a second identical model intending it to become the real day-to-day user, relegating the semi-beater trial camera to donor status if ever needed.

The new Crown is pristine, both in functionality and cosmetics. Every feature works correctly. Every control is silky smooth. Every metal piece glistens. None of the usual wear points are worn. Clean, like-new black crinkle paint still covers every corner and edge. Even at that point where the locking bed supports attach to the bed there is no dried and peeled back leatherette.

The serial number indicates a manufacture date of May, 1968, right near the sale to Singer. I believe this camera had only one previous non-professional trial owner who purchased it out of storage from Graflex follow-on WD Service in Carson City, Nevada, gave it a whirl, didn't like it, then just packed it away. The seller said he had bought it for his son who ended up settling on a Hasselblad instead.

Cost?

Only USD $350, plus a little shipping. This was an eBay auction purchase. I was the only bidder and corresponded at length with the seller regarding provenance before bidding. Add in another $77 plus shipping for a wonderful Carol Flutot CLAC service on the shutter and I have essentially a brand new camera.

There are reasonable deals to be had out there. I waited probably 6-9 months for this one to show up. I would never have paid more than USD $500 for a nice used Crown. Those guys asking for USD $800-900, or more, are just crazy.

Unless, of course, they can get it..

Ken
    Last edited by Ken Nadvornick; 07-21-2013 at 02:31 PM. Click to view previous post history.
    "They are the proof that something was there and no longer is. Like a stain. And the stillness of them is boggling. You can turn away but when you come back they’ll still be there looking at you."

—Diane Arbus, March 15, 1971, in response to a request for a brief statement about photographs

Shooter
    Multi Format
    The classifieds on APUG often have Speed?Crown Graphics for sale at better prices.
    I bought my Super Graphic from a APUG forum sale for $275 and it was a full kit in great condition; that was about 4 years ago though.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin