Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,846   Posts: 1,582,741   Online: 915

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format

Mounting/Retaining ring for Graphex 135mm Optar? Wollensak

Hi Folks,

Sorry to start a thread just for this but all the information I can find is to do with slip on filters.

I've lost the original retaining ring from when I borrowed a lens and I'm struggling to work out what size I need. I saw something about how they didn't stick to standard sizes so I'm not sure.

I'm hesitant about buying the wrong one because of how long they take to arrive, I want to get shooting!

Cheers

J

Shooter
    Plastic Cameras
    Images
    go to the skgrimes.com website and look up flanges. I believe Graphex is another name for Rapax. Measure your shutter threads to confirm.

http://www.skgrimes.com/products/mou...-stock-flanges

Jon
    Mendocino Coast Black and White Photography: www.jonshiu.com

Shooter
    Large Format
    In the meantime, if you are truing to mount a shutter on a lenboard, you might run a bead around the threads from a hot-glue gun to hold it in. It can later be cleaned off pretty easy.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Here is a photo of the ring and spring for that lens, from a year 1955 Speed.
    The minor diameter of the rear of the lens (before the thread starts), is 1.290 inch
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Optar1.jpg   Optar2.jpg  

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Thanks folks.

The stupid thing is, I didn't even use the lens that I borrowed. I might have to follow Tom's advice for the mean time and hope that it turns up. Spending 35 dollars + air mail on a lens worth 50 dollars is painful. If I'm reading that Grimes table right, at least.

Cheers

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    The 135mm f4.7 Graphic Optar is mounted in a #2 Graphex shutter. The SK Grimes web site lists a retaining ring for the #1 and #3 Rapax shutter but not the #2. Graphex is Rapax renamed.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    I'm also on the lookout for a retaining ring for a Graphex no2 shutter. Why do people throw them away?
    With the number of these that were produced, there must still be thousands kicking around in kitchen drawers and nobody knows what they're for. Otoh, there must surely be enough of a residual demand for them that jinfinance or some Chinese supplier on ebay could start knocking them out until demand is satisfied. I'd immediately buy a couple of them. Jinfinance, for example, sell Copal-sized rings for as little as $10 and free shipping, to boot. Unfortunately, I'm fairly sure all the Copal rings he's offering are metric and won't do.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    I recently bought a 135mm f4.7 Optar in full sync Graphex shutter. It arrived with a factory mount flange.
    The shutter mount threads are 1.325 inch 40 Threads Per Inch the same thread pitch as listed for a Betax #2 on SKGrimes site.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    I have a notion they might co-incide with old cycle threads, as used in some areas, like steering head or bottom bracket jam nuts. Unfortunately, I no longer have any old bikes of that vintage.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Keep an eye out for a nonfunctional/ugly #2 Graphex or Rapax shutter on eBay... or a complete lens in sad shape. You can probably find one for $20 or less delivered. Just make sure it comes with the flange.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin