Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,524   Posts: 1,543,895   Online: 959

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Shooter
    Large Format
    Quote Originally Posted by StoneNYC View Post
    I don't care about "difficulty in loading film" I don't seem to struggle as much loading film like others do, they say the Mamiya RZ67 backs for example are hard to load, but easy for me, same with others so I feel like its not something to worry shoot...
    The Sinar holders use a separate cassette to hold the film spools, and you have to manage the insertion of that into the body of the holder together with threading the film over a very long U-shaped path. For my taste it's fussier than the small backward-curling inserts that are the usual standard for interchangeable medium-format backs. It's awkward in the field, and there's a lot more surface area to keep clear of dust and grit. If you lose the cassette the holder is useless. OTOH, if you acquire extra cassettes, you can load them in advance and slightly speed up the process of changing film.

Quote Originally Posted by StoneNYC View Post
    I ask twice sometimes because there's the "I heard" info, and the "I've experienced first hand" info and sifting through it to understand fully is my plan.
    I owned a C2N in 6x7 format. The internal construction was pretty chintzy. If you care about printing full frame with border (I did at the time, less so now), know that the design of the film gate produced three crisply-defined edges and one fuzzy one. Take Dan's good advice and exercise your Google skills on this before you take the plunge.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Fromm View Post
    Small grain of sand, I've already told you that in my searching I found complaints about Cambo/Calumet roll holders. I didn't say, should have, that all sizes seem to be problematic. Problems reported include fragility, scratching film, and tearing film.

Its time for you to do some searching yourself.
    Sorry, your description said "problems" followed by complaints about weight... you didn't say anything about scratching etc, and since I don't care about weight, it didn't flag in my brain...
    ~Stone | "...of course, that's just my opinion. I could be wrong." ~Dennis Miller

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Oren Grad View Post
    The Sinar holders use a separate cassette to hold the film spools, and you have to manage the insertion of that into the body of the holder together with threading the film over a very long U-shaped path. For my taste it's fussier than the small backward-curling inserts that are the usual standard for interchangeable medium-format backs. It's awkward in the field, and there's a lot more surface area to keep clear of dust and grit. If you lose the cassette the holder is useless. OTOH, if you acquire extra cassettes, you can load them in advance and slightly speed up the process of changing film.

I owned a C2N in 6x7 format. The internal construction was pretty chintzy. If you care about printing full frame with border (I did at the time, less so now), know that the design of the film gate produced three crisply-defined edges and one fuzzy one. Take Dan's good advice and exercise your Google skills on this before you take the plunge.
    I do google stuff, but a lot of times I get photo.net info which can be hard to manage what's real and what's not, that's why I'm part of THIS community, cause you guys know stuff for realz.... haha

Thanks, it sounds like, though I wanted to get the slide in versions, that ultimately the horseman is the way to go, hence why many go that rout.... guess I can't take the path less taken this time...
    ~Stone | "...of course, that's just my opinion. I could be wrong." ~Dennis Miller

LJH

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Stone,

It seems to me that you need to choose one option and deal with the consequences. Please don't think that I'm having a go at you by saying this; it just seems to me that you're dithering, waiting for some ray of light to hit you. If it hasn't yet, I doubt that it is still coming!

As for the consequences, what's the worst that can happen? You get, say, a Sinar and it doesn't suit you. Just sell it again, and suffer any financial loss. Or, buy a Chinese one at a cheaper price and do a decent review on it. Again, if it's crap, sell it.

On the other hand, you just might find the right option for you and you're on your way!

I can only reiterate that I have found the Chinese ones easy to use and excellent in their results.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by LJH View Post
    Stone,

It seems to me that you need to choose one option and deal with the consequences. Please don't think that I'm having a go at you by saying this; it just seems to me that you're dithering, waiting for some ray of light to hit you. If it hasn't yet, I doubt that it is still coming!

As for the consequences, what's the worst that can happen? You get, say, a Sinar and it doesn't suit you. Just sell it again, and suffer any financial loss. Or, buy a Chinese one at a cheaper price and do a decent review on it. Again, if it's crap, sell it.

On the other hand, you just might find the right option for you and you're on your way!

I can only reiterate that I have found the Chinese ones easy to use and excellent in their results.
    Thanks, the reason for my pause is simply that it took me 6 months to save and find a good deal on a 4x5... so it will take me that long to afford a horseman I think (which is what I've settled on after reading all of this and other things on the net) so I don't want to have to buy something, just to be frustrated with it... I try to be an informed buyer, not a guinea pig

LJH

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    PM me if you'd like any photos of the back I have. As I mentioned, it's 6x17, but it should give you an indicative idea of build/design/quality.

Shooter
    Holga
    If you can find one, an alternative to the Horseman:-
    http://www.stevewaltonsblog.com/2013...film-back.html

/Frank...
    Last edited by mrsmiggins; 07-27-2013 at 09:20 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by mrsmiggins View Post
    If you can find one, an alternative to the Horseman:-
    http://www.stevewaltonsblog.com/2013...film-back.html

/Frank...
    Frank, Oh I like that back! Or rather I like the review of it.

More importantly now I want that 47mm lens! Haha

Should take John (Jnanian) up on his offer for those bag bellows and get a sweet sweet 14mm (in 35mm terms) equivalent lens haha, always wanted tr canon 14mm lens but who needs it if you can do it with LF . I almost fell off the couch when I read that something like that existed!

Sent w/ iPhone using Tapatalk

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Stone, since budget is a big problem for you, you'd do well to settle for the good enough, viz., ShenHao/DaYi. The two are identical as in come out of the same machine shop and differ only in their badges, both get good reviews, and good enough means good enough. Don't loose sight of your goal, which is, I think, to shoot 6x12 on roll film, and isn't, I think, to have spiffy gear.

About the Widepan 6x12 roll holder, I didn't mention it because it seems to be out of production and used ones are scarce. To my eye, never having touched one, it looks like a good imitation or simply a rebadged Horseman.

Re w/a lenses, I have a 47/5.6 SA that just barely or almost covers 6x12. On 2x3 it doesn't need a center filter, on 6x12 it does. More expense. If one is your heart's desire, it is one more reason not to splurge on an expensive back.

Re your heart's desire, reconsider. The widest lens that covers 6x12 is -- I could be mistaken -- the 35/4.5 Apo Grandagon. It needs a center filter too. Very expensive lens, expensive center filter. It sees the same horizontal angle of view on 56x112 as an 11 mm lens sees on 24x36. Continue dreaming and saving your small monetary units.

Re short lenses, what's your 4x5 camera? Not all will focus really short lenses. More expense looms ...

Shooter
    Large Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Fromm View Post
    Re short lenses, what's your 4x5 camera?
    Earlier in the thread he said Toyo 45A. MAC says that the 45AII can be used with lenses as short as 47mm, though at the moment the only recessed board they offer is a 12mm one described as being for lenses 58mm - 75mm.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin