Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,872   Posts: 1,583,491   Online: 1010

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by tony lockerbie View Post
    Fair enough too. I used to have a Technika 70, but it was damn near as large and heavy as a 5x4 Technika. I don't know the Ebony 2x3, but imagine it would be light and top class. You can, of course, get pretty much 5x4 quality from 2x3 with the right film/dev combination. I use my Ebony these days much more than my Technika, getting old and creaky!
    Tony, your thoughts on metal vs wood view cameras? Besides weight. How about rigidity?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Interesting question, probably with no straight forward answer because in the end much of this comes down to build quality. There is also precision to consider. Unfortunately strength/rigidity and precision don't necessarily come in the same package. Ebony wood cameras are said to be very rigid and precise. Linhof metal cameras are said to be very rigid and precise. Etc.

The great frustration for me with this stuff is not being able to just go to a store and try them. Ebony, Linhof, Sinar, Arca, Toyo. Who knows. And this is big ticket stuff, even used. Which one will best serve my needs? Will I get what I'm told I'll get? You have to buy based purely on specifications, "research" and opinion, and speaking for myself, no matter how much time I spend researching and how hard I try to make the right move, I end up going in circles, and I've been disappointed.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    I don't have a set-up 5x7 enlarger... but contact prints are dandy. I do use the roll-film back a lot for things I will enlarge.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Unfortunately, you have to wiggle your toes into the water to know its temperature. If you don't have the ability to actually see one of these cameras in use, you're going to just have to dive in and learn the hard way. If your initial hunch is reasonably correct, you'll simply get used to the camera pretty soon and not worry about which model might have hypothetically been slightly better. With Ebony you have to differentiate between full-featured folders with relatively long bellows and non-folding cameras made primarily for wide angle lenses only (though these can be lenghtened using back extensions. You also have to decide what kind of med format film and holders you want to work with - sheet or roll (more likely). ... and not all roll film holders are created equal or attach in the same manner. A relatively heavy holder on
    a cheaper, flimsier (but otherwise good) camera might actually tug the image slightly out of focus.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by brian steinberger View Post
    I've been looking for a 2x3 view camera for some time now. I've been mainly looking at Ebony's and Arca Swiss cameras, but have given the Shen-Hoa a look too. I'm looking for a small view camera to travel with. Something I will use to shoot landscapes and architecture (nothing extreme), and still life. I would like to use focal lengths equivalent in 35mm to 28, 50, and something longer. I want something strong and tough, that will last a lifetime.

I have found an Ebony 23s for $1600. The Arca Swiss F line looks fantastic but is well out of my price range at 4k +. There is one of ebay now for $2800. Even the Ebony cameras brand new are a bit expensive.

Anyone have any thoughts on the Ebony 2x3's? Ease of use, durability, amount of movements, etc? And also, how it compares to the Shen-Hoa 2x3 or other 2x3's.

Thanks!
    Um, to muddy the water a little, there are 2x3 monorails. Modern ones are highly precise, heavy, and expensive. There are, though, older ones that sometimes sell for relatively little. A couple of centuries ago when I was thinking about moving up to 2x3 from 35 mm I looked into the 2x3 Galvin, wasn't thrilled by what I saw. Got to touch a 2x3 Linhof Color (Technika on a rail, very heavy) that scared me away from 2x3 view cameras for years. Instead I got a 2x3 Graphic, absolutely not a view camera, that met my needs but won't meet yours, Brian.

When one of my friends was on his deathbed he gave me his 2x3 Cambo SC (SC-1). I've since bought another for a little over $100. Also a complete 4x5 SC for parts to make a camera with a 2x3 front and 4x5 rear, the better to shoot 6x12. The 2x3s are no less precise than the 4x5 and considerably smaller. Cambo SCs aren't precise enough for digital because they have friction focusing and their movements aren't geared; for digital you want something a lot more modern and expensive. 2x3ers seem to pop up around once a quarter, typically sell for no more than $200-300. If you want one, watch patiently ...

Very capable used 4x5 monorails that accept roll holders can be had for a small fraction of the amount you propose to spend. The Sinar system is vast and well-supported. Same goes for Cambos like mine.

Brian, about focal length equivalences. The normal lens for 2x3 is 100 mm, the normal lens for 35 mm is 43 mm; that people think of 50 mm as normal for 2x3 is due to an historical accident. The 2x3 equivalent of 28 mm on 35 mm is 65 mm. 50 mm, 116 mm. My little Cambos will focus a 47 Super Angulon on a flat board to infinity. My 6x12 rig will make infinity with a 35 on a flat board.

Good luck, have fun, and accept that whatever you do will be wrong,

Dan

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    Blog Entries
    Images
    well now there's an Arca Swiss F line compact on Ebay for $1500. I'm not sure if I should wait and try to get an Ebony or other 2x3 for cheaper?? I mean the Arca is $4400 brand new, so wouldn't $1500 be a steal? Or even $1600 for the Ebony 23s that costs $3400 new.
    Last edited by brian steinberger; 07-31-2013 at 11:59 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Forgive my ignorance but how much 2x3 sheet film is available?

Sent w/ iPhone using Tapatalk
    ~Stone | "...of course, that's just my opinion. I could be wrong." ~Dennis Miller

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    For sheet film, it's mainly the Ilford special order these days, but 2x3 view cameras generally take rollfilm backs. Ilford 2x3 sheet film costs about as much as 4x5.
    flickr--http://www.flickr.com/photos/davidagoldfarb/
    Photography (not as up to date as the flickr site)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com/photo
    Academic (Slavic and Comparative Literature)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Brian, if you're looking at/for a 2x3 Arca, take a look at this: http://www.galerie-photo.info/forumgp/read.php?6,2869

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by StoneNYC View Post
    Forgive my ignorance but how much 2x3 sheet film is available?

Sent w/ iPhone using Tapatalk
    Very little at this time. If you can mount a roll film 120 back you're gold, otherwise Freestyle lists only their Arista sheet film at 100, and Ilford FP4 and HP5, both out of stock till Sept 30

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin