Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,829   Posts: 1,582,240   Online: 1031

Shooter
    Multi Format

Crown Graphic bellows

Hi there!

I am getting really confused here. I got myself a set of Crown Graphic bellows (as I were told by the kind gentleman who gave them to me) and I just acquired a nice Crown Graphic body. The thing is - the bellows wont fit! They are much bigger at the back and a bit smaller on the front!
    The bellows I have measure ~6,92"x6,92" on the back outside and the back inner opening has cut corners, has screw holes in each corner and measures 5,9" between the holes. The front is 3,38"x3,38" and again, opening has cut corners and 4 holes for screws, 2,71" apart.
    They look of Graflex origin, made of synthetics and are very well made.
    Now, the body has 2 screwholes in the bottom and two on the top for the rear part of the bellows and the recess is rather rectangular than square.
    The serial number reads 984698.

Basically, what are the bellows for that I have and which bellows (and possibly where, without breaking the bank) should I get. I am also willing to trade in the ones I have, although they are extremely well made and I would rather use them myself but the camera body I have seems to have some history and deserves to be resurrected.

Thanks!
    -Vallo

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    984xxx is in the block of numbers set aside for 4x5 Crown Graphic. There should be a 3 letter/number date code on the bottom of the front most cross bar of the rails.
    See: http://www.graflex.org/helpboard/viewtopic.php?t=3321
    probably a late 1960's or early 1970's Crown Graphic.

The service manual, http://www.southbristolviews.com/pic...vicemanual.pdf , lists the part number for the bellows as 31061G3 with no distinction between Crown and Speed. The side rangefinder manual lists the bellows part number as 31061-G1 and no longer available, use 31061-G3 and use retaining clips 32459.

Some pictures would be nice but I'm guessing the bellows are for another make of camera that the back can be set to portrait or landscape position where the Pacemaker Graphics are fixed at landscape position.
    http://www.cameraeccentric.com/html/info/graflex_4.html

Shooter
    Multi Format
    It reads extremely faintly A8A so January 1964 rev. 1

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    No,
    1st.- A=January
    2nd- 8= 1968
    3rd.- A = 1st revision for that year.
    So its an early 1968 Crown Graphic.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Oops, you are right.
    I think my best guess would be to trade the bellows I have for something more suitable, as the body itself cost me most of this month's food budget. Talk about dedication.

I guess what I am concerned about is getting another set of bellows that won't fit.
    Last edited by VPooler; 08-14-2013 at 03:56 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Hello;
    The bellows you have are for a Super Graphic. These are square because of the rotating back on this camera. The crown graphic bellows were shaped like a rectangle and were sized to fit the rear opening. Steven.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by snederhiser View Post
    Hello;
    The bellows you have are for a Super Graphic. These are square because of the rotating back on this camera. The crown graphic bellows were shaped like a rectangle and were sized to fit the rear opening. Steven.
    Thanks for the info! I'll try to trade 'em for a nice set of bellows for my Crown. Even though the camera needs a lensboard, bellows and a new focusing screen and is not cosmetically the best around, I love this little brick of a camera.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Super graphic bellows have 3 wires at the rear top late version or three contact strips on the early version. The bellows attach to the back with clips and are crimped to the front standard frame which is part of the bellows. Guess again.

V, from the sound of it it will be easier and cheaper to find a complete camera body. The one you have has been stripped for parts. The cost of the missing parts could easily exceed the price of a complete camera.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I got the body cheaply enough that getting the bellows would even it all out. Plus I like tinkering and having a former crime scene camera is a huge plus for me, I like items with history. The fellows at China want 100 bucks for a new bellows, I think I can find some for even less. I already got a replacement for the ground glass, I have no issues with fabricating a lensboard myself and rest is just some cosmetic work and minor repairs.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin