Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,942   Posts: 1,585,745   Online: 1107

Shooter
    35mm

1168 Grafmatic - can I use it?

Well, I ended up with a grafmatic in my hot little hands, but it appears to be the "Graflex" graphmatic, and as such does not fit on my Speed Graphic.
    Septums are all good, and it works really smooth, so I'm feeling a little down about that.

Does anyone know of any way to make it work... or does anyone have a graphic back they'd like to swap for it?

Shooter
    Large Format
    I do not understand. It should slide in as does a regular filmholder, whether you have a Graflok back or a spring back.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    You should be able to sell it, buy a 1268, and still have a bit left over. I'm sure you'll find someone who needs one - the 1168s aren't all that common.

Dan

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Tom, there are two style backs, this is one for the older type: Graflex slr. It's wider. They get a good price, I'd sell it if no trade offer pops up.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    http://www.pacificrimcamera.com/pp/graflex/backs.htm
    describes and covers most of the accessories associated with the type of backs.

Graflex: holders are 1/8 to 3/16 inch wider than standard film holders, the same length, film plane at a different depth than standard film holders; have slots down their sides and a grove close to the darkslide end that mates with the back frame edge to form the light trap. Graflex has a straight bar slider top and fixed bar bottom for most the production years; late production models have flat slide bars top and bottom. Graflex backs are the only back supplied by the factory for their SLR's and were an option on Speed Graphic cameras up to the early 1950's.

Graphic: common spring back found on many makes of cameras; takes standard two sided film holders. A Grafmatic may not fit on some cameras and will expand the springs to their limit on others.

Graflok, aka International Back: takes all types of standard film holders and accessories; has a removable focus panel; slide bars top and bottom are angled inward and used to lock accessories in place.

Slide bars on Graflex and Graflok backs were made sidling left to right to lock, most common, and right to left to lock, less common.
    Last edited by shutterfinger; 09-02-2013 at 12:23 AM. Click to view previous post history.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin