Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,540   Posts: 1,544,313   Online: 948

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    Large Format

High speed x-ray processing - how does it work?

I've read many descriptions of X-Ray processors that produce images in just a few minutes - some are very fast...
    Konica Minolta SRX-101A produces images in 90 seconds.
    http://www.konicaminolta.com/healthc...analogue/xray/

How does that work? Even if I have a Super developer, how can the fixer get washed off so quickly?
    X-rays are archival - so something tricky must be going on...
    Any ideas?
    I am mostly interested in the fixing and washing of the film. Does x-ray film not absorb the fixer (similar to RC paper?) - I am wanting to speed up my process...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Some films have developing agents incorporated in the emulsion. I remember using a film which developed completely in less than 1 second. Processors usually use elevated temperatures. My 49" processor would deliver a dry print or film in about that length of time. Thirty years later there is no sign of deterioration of image.
    Richard

Why are there no speaker jacks on a stereo camera?

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by mkillmer View Post
    X-rays are archival
    Not really - most have a very limited lifetime and are then sent to Ag recovery.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    High temperatures, very high concentrations. Atleast in that machine that I saw in action. The smell of chemicals was both warm and nauseating. Took 2 minutes to spit out the film from the other end.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Prof_Pixel View Post
    Not really - most have a very limited lifetime and are then sent to Ag recovery.
    Hmmm.... not sure about that.

X-Rays are viewed as stable and permanent records. My wife commonly works with x-rays from 40 years ago.

AgX

Shooter
    Multi Format
    The Rapidoprint System (graphic films and papers) took only 75sec for exposed film to come out as developed, dry film (dev/fix/wash/wash/dry).

Shooter
    Large Format
    Quote Originally Posted by VPooler View Post
    High temperatures, very high concentrations. Atleast in that machine that I saw in action. The smell of chemicals was both warm and nauseating. Took 2 minutes to spit out the film from the other end.
    I assumed something like this - do you know about washing process? Is the film base made of a different material to "normal" film? I'm curious how they can be washed so quickly.

AgX

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Alternatively there are washless systems that change the unexposed halide into quite stable compounds instead of emoving them.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    X-rays are archival -
    Not sure which country you refer to. In USA it varies from state to state. Typically 5 to 7 years then recycle for silver.

Shooter
    35mm
    Hmmm.... not sure about that.

X-Rays are viewed as stable and permanent records. My wife commonly works with x-rays from 40 years ago.
    ahh... 40 years ago - things were different.

I'm sure hospitals have x-ray labs that have more archival processes (lots of x-rays today are digital), but some places (like urgent care) need fast, simple processing.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin