Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,948   Posts: 1,557,864   Online: 833

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Shooter
    35mm

Suggested developer for Fomapan 100

I'm getting back into large format and am looking for a developer for Fomapan 100. Currently I use Rodinal 1:100 semi-stand and ID11 (1:1 and 1:3) but both provide grainier results than I would like. Anyone use this film with a developer they'd recommend?

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Funny, even with Pyrocat I found it more like a 400 speed film in terms of grain. Maybe someone can chime in about a good Xtol time and dilution?
    K.S. Klain

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I use Fomapan 100 & 200 in Pyrocat HD and get good fine grain, I shoot at half the box speeds and with dev times about 70% of other films I use. The emulsions are slightly soft so you need to take care that the temperature of all steps inc washing is kept tight to +/- 1°C.

In the past I also used Xtol with these films again with excellent results.

Ian

Shooter
    Medium Format
    D-76 1+1 gives beautiful tonality, as does PMK. It is a grainy film compared to modern films like Tmax.

D-76 1+1

PMK 1+2+100
    Chris Crawford
    Fine Art Photography of Indiana and other places no one else photographs.

http://www.chriscrawfordphoto.com

My Tested Developing Times with the films and developers I use

Become a fan of my work on Facebook

Fort Wayne, Indiana

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    It's grainy for its speed, no matter what you do with it (well, I guess if you put it in the fixer first you won't get much grain, but short of that... :-) I usually shoot it at 50 and develop for 8:30 in PC-TEA, which usually has the same dev times as Xtol 1+2.

For larger formats it looks really nice in Caffenol developers, but in 35mm I expect the grain would be intolerable. You could always try a super-fine-grain developer like Perceptol and see how you like the results, of course.

-NT
    Nathan Tenny
    San Diego, CA, USA

The lady of the house has to be a pretty swell sort of person to put up with the annoyance of a photographer.
    -The Little Technical Library, _Developing, Printing, And Enlarging_

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    i process it with caffenol c and a jigger of spent print developer added for good measure.
    great film !

john

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Yeah, it's grainy and you're not really going to change that. I shoot it in 4x5 and develop for about 9:00-9:30 in Xtol 1+1, rotary with 30s prewash.

It also looks good in D76 1+1.

Shooter
    35mm
    Thanks for the replies. D76 and ID-11 are virtually identical, so that route has been covered, maybe I'm expecting too much of an old-tech film. I shall experiment with box speeds and try some different developers. Curiously, I've had good results from Foma 100 in 120 format, but 4 x 5 doesn't seem to offer the tonality/grain progress one would expect.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Foma films are a touch quirky but once you've done some tests to determine your optimum EI and development times they behave as well as other films. I shoot 120 & 5x4 with no issues, excellent tonality as well as good fine grain as I mentioned previously.

This negative has been printed to 24"x24" (actual image area) and still shows fine grain.

Ian

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Is there a starting point for Fomapan 100 4x5 exposed at E.I. 50 to be developed in Perceptol?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin